Amp upgrade for Rega system

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

my system at the moment consists of the components in my signature, all Rega. I'd like to upgrade my amp and I have the chance to purchase and ex dem Mira 3 at a very affordable price. Question is, would it be an upgrade or a sideways step? I will make a comparison as soon as I can, but I wanted to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks!

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
personally I prefer the Brio to the Mira. The Mira is more Hi-Fi, but less enjoyable. Thats my ears, my system. Have a listen for yourself. I went from the Brio to Cursa - Maia. There are soem good deals around on those at the moment if you can track one down, have a listen

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Chebby, which would be the most noticeable benefit I could get? Also sometimes I have the sensation of a little harshness in high frequencies, you think that Mira would tame this problem? Once more....thanks:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Comparisons between the Mira 3 and Brio 3 have usually found the Mira 3 to be a more refined, smoother, detailed amplifier and the Brio 3 to be more of a 'fun' amp with better pace.

However, your Brio 2000 has even less power (38 wpc) than the Brio 3 (49wpc) and I think Repse was comparing the Brio 3 not your model.

I have heard the Mira 3 and Brio 3 with the Apollo and RS1 and RS3 speakers and (good as the Brio 3 was for the price) I think your RS5s will benefit more from the 60wpc of the Mira 3.

Given your last observation about slightly harsh treble, the more refined Mira 3 should be a better choice.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'd go for the Brio-R. It's a terrific amp by any standard. Yes, it costs more, but is well worth it. Plus, it also has the makings of a classic, which can only bode well for resale value.

Looks good, too.

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for the Brio R. Fantastic amp.

It will drive the rs5 with relative ease.

Should of won Whf amp of the year. It was a fix!

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Brio R, reading all the comments and WHF review, must be a great amp. Anyway given the bargain price, I'll consider at the moment only the Mira :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
steffy72004 said:
Brio R, reading all the comments and WHF review, must be a great amp. Anyway given the bargain price, I'll consider at the moment only the Mira :)
Why not go down to your dealer and compare? I think you'll be surprised at how good the Brio-R is.

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
After a week of evaluating Mira 3 is still there, available. But came out the opportunity on a Naim 5i-2, and I am tempted: would it be a good choice? Considering that I should drive 100 km to go to listen to Naim, I would really appreciate some advice in advance.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I did heard both Brio-R and Naim 5I-2 (it was both improvised quick listening session so I can't tell the details like musics and equipments.)

I did like both. But my heart got stroke by that Naim, and what I heard did obsess me and was looping back in my head for 24hrs! No kidding.

Now I'm in the quest to get the same feeling with the Brio-r with some listening session with different speakers. If I don't find it, I'll have to pile up some more money to reach the Naim. :wall:

So go and get there. After you will sleep much better with your choice whatever it is. That's the final result that count, isn't? :)

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
So, after a couple of weeks I thought to update this thread in the quest for a new amp. I managed to organize an audition with my player and speakers to compare Nait 5i and Mira 3. Undoubtely,as expected, the character of the two amps were quite different:

- Mira: quite musical (but not as much as the Brio), very relaxed, laid back, but a little muddy in more complex pieces

- Naim: detailed, fast, great separation and rythm, just a little less musical than mira.

Honestly I found that the sound of the Mira didn't suit my taste, and I opted to obtain a two days demo at home with Nait. After a longer session with this amp, I decided anyway to give it back to the shop: really a nice piece of kit, but in some way put out of balance my setup: the listening, even if more detailed and in certain cases really superb (especially with piano, so natural), became fatiguing, after 30 minutes I had to take a break, while with Brio I could go on the whole day. Also I noticed a bit too much high frequencies, in a word I felt I gained something, but also losed something, and I realized I wasn't happy with this new sound. So I gave back the Nait and I am thinking on which option I could try.

Valves? rega Maia/Cursa combination? (they have a couple of these ex dem).....hope you can help me with some suggestion, thanks!

A

Anonymous

Just get the Mira. In your home and setup, specially since you're sensing brightness or forwardness, I suspect the Brio-R and the Naim stuff will be too in your face and forward sounding.

Get the mira. enjoy the music, and stop reading forums. It'll just confuse you.

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Appreciate the advice, Mo, but I will keep on reading the forums (it's often useful and interesting) and for sure I'm not going to get the Mira 3: honestly, I prefer the sound of my old Brio to the Mira 3, so for now I will stick to my amp and keep on looking around and experimenting....after all that's a big part of the fun
smiley-wink.gif

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Likely to be one amp to replace both the Mira and the Elicit and better than either.

Same styling as Brio-R but of course larger.

There couldn't be a Mira-R as the Mira is already remote-controlled.

TRENDING THREADS