Amp upgrade advice (from PM6005)

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello, my config is based on a Cambridge 851N plugged on a Marantz PM6005 and a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT6F.

I like the sound produced (detailled, a touch of warmth) but i think it could be better.

I would like advices based on experiences for an upgrade of the Marantz to reach another step up in my config.

I hesitate between several choices like :

- plugging directly the 851N to a power amp (using the 851N as a pre) like maybe the 851W,

- a 851A (i am afraid of a lost of warmth compared to my actual system),

- an Hegel H80 (idem afraid of a lost in warmth),

- a Rega Elex-R (i'm afraid of a potential bass lack),

- or maybe a Naim ?

What would be your advices of pairing with my existing config ?

Is the step up with one of the listed amps above worth the price coming from the PM6005?

Thanks !

kelfab said:
Hello, my config is based on a Cambridge 851N plugged on a Marantz PM6005 and a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT6F.

I like the sound produced (detailled, a touch of warmth) but i think it could be better.

I would like advices based on experiences for an upgrade of the Marantz to reach another step up in my config.

I hesitate between several choices like :

- plugging directly the 851N to a power amp (using the 851N as a pre) like maybe the 851W,

- a 851A (i am afraid of a lost of warmth compared to my actual system),

- an Hegel H80 (idem afraid of a lost in warmth),

- a Rega Elex-R (i'm afraid of a potential bass lack),

- or maybe a Naim ?

What would be your advices of pairing with my existing config ?

Is the step up with one of the listed amps above worth the price coming from the PM6005?

Thanks !

To be strictly honest nobody here can tell you as your idea of 'warmth' may not be everyone's.

Ideally I'd say partner it with matching Cambridge kit,failing that the Hegel. Naim kit would need a serious audition as it's a bit hit or miss depending on your hearing / system and to my mind only works well with Naim peripherals.

There are other options. How about going further up the Marantz ladder?

Or you could really go out on a limb and try the Abrahamsen amp that is regularly promoted on this forum.

A lot will depend on your budget but only you can decide as to what is an apparent 'upgrade'.

kelfab said:
Thanks for your answer.

My feeling about warmth in my system is the fact that high frequencies aren't unconfortable for my ears and that there's a little touch of emphasis in medium / bass register.

My previous system was a bit too bright for me (an Atoll amp with Triangle speakers) and i couldn't stand listening to during it several hours like i do with my actual config.

I had the Naim muso for several week and i found the sound quite interresting albeit i found a bit too much bass for my taste. I also read that partnering Naim with other brands could be risky and i can only afford to change the amp right now.

I also checked furher options up in the Marantz ladder but i think the pm8005 will be too close to the pm6005 in performance and the step further is much more pricey (PM14S1 SE => 2990 €).

I'm not sure i can find some Abrahamsen amps here in France, i'll check for that, thanks for the advice.

What about pluging the 851N directly to a power amp, is it OK or it's better to use an integated (not the budget for pre amp + power amp) ?

As long as the 851N has all the connections you need there should be no problem connecting it directly to a power amp, apparently it has a good preamp section, so the Cambridge stereo power amp option (851w in particular) should be considered. It's a digital preamp you have though so no chance of adding any analogue inputs if you ever go down this route.

matthewpiano

I agree with Al that only you can completely judge what is the right sound for you.

The PM8005 is substantially better than the PM6005, combining the usual Marantz leaning towards slight warmth, with greater clarity and control. At the prices it can often be found for, it is one hell of an amplifier, so I'd suggest it is worth auditioning if you get chance and still want the flexibility (inputs etc.) an integrated can offer.

rainsoothe

matthewpiano said:
I agree with Al that only you can completely judge what is the right sound for you.

The PM8005 is substantially better than the PM6005, combining the usual Marantz leaning towards slight warmth, with greater clarity and control. At the prices it can often be found for, it is one hell of an amplifier, so I'd suggest it is worth auditioning if you get chance and still want the flexibility (inputs etc.) an integrated can offer.

+1, the PM8005 is not a minor upgrade over the the PM6005. You should, of course, audition the partnering Cambridge Audio power amp.

Another alternative is to get rid of the CA streamer, and get a Hegel H160. It does streaming, has a dac, has lots of power, and is known to have a warm, smooth sound (but not to the point of sounding weak, on the contrary) and should partner the Tannoys very nicely.

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

The problem is that where i live there isn't much dealers where i can listen to all those brands, i must often buy online so i have to make an advised preselection before to avoid returning material to sellers.

I read that the PM8005 is a bit brighter than the PM6005 (maybe the clarity you're talking about) and i'm afraid it could be in that way more tiring on long listening periods.

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
+1, the PM8005 is not a minor upgrade over the the PM6005. You should, of course, audition the partnering Cambridge Audio power amp.

Another alternative is to get rid of the CA streamer, and get a Hegel H160. It does streaming, has a dac, has lots of power, and is known to have a warm, smooth sound (but not to the point of sounding weak, on the contrary) and should partner the Tannoys very nicely.

I really like the Cambridge iOS app for streaming, and the concept of "queueing" the music from different sources.

I tried several other systems before it (Marantz NA6005 - Pioneer N70A - ...) and all of their respective apps were really awfull and laborious to use.

The other one which was quite good in my opinion was the app provided by Naim for the MuSo.

How about the Hegel's one ?

rainsoothe

don't know about the Hegel app, but there's some H160 owners on this forum, they should be able to help. Also, the H160 keeps getting prizes everywhere, and it's praised for tight bass, smooth but detailed sound - seems to be exactly what you're after. Don't know if it's that warm though, you should look at used Naim Supernait (first gen - but since you said Naim bass was not to your liking, I don't know about this) or, budget allowing, Jadis Orchestra - which is the loveliest amp I heard at the price. Electrocompaniet is also worth considering.

Oh, I almost forgot. And Arcam!!!

First gen naim nait xs is lovely and smooth and could be just what your looking for.I took a punt without listening as I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself with not many dealers in my vicinity.I just read as many reviews as possible and kept a beedy eye on that well known auction site.

D

Deleted member 108165

kelfab said:
I read that the PM8005 is a bit brighter than the PM6005 (maybe the clarity you're talking about) and i'm afraid it could be in that way more tiring on long listening periods.

I've owned both in the same range: PM6004 and Pearl Lite and would definitely say that any brightness encountered would definitely depend on speaker pairing. Marantz with MA speakers can be bright; Marantz with PMC is a totally different experience - I can listen the the Pearl Lite/PMC all day with absolutely no fatigue. Kef and Boston Acoustics are said to be a good match for Marantz, Tannoy work well too, but you know this already.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
kelfab said:

I've owned both in the same range: PM6004 and Pearl Lite and would definitely say that any brightness encountered would definitely depend on speaker pairing. Marantz with MA speakers can be bright; Marantz with PMC is a totally different experience - I can listen the the Pearl Lite/PMC all day with absolutely no fatigue. Kef and Boston Acoustics are said to be a good match for Marantz, Tannoy work well too, but you know this already.
+ 1 I've owned both the marantz pm6005 & pm8005 the pm8005 and the Pearl Lite definitely are better amp's then the pm6005 but like any amp what you put them with is up to you but dali speaker's match marantz amps well too its best to demo and then you know then what works for you

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.

My feeling about warmth in my system is the fact that high frequencies aren't unconfortable for my ears and that there's a little touch of emphasis in medium / bass register.

My previous system was a bit too bright for me (an Atoll amp with Triangle speakers) and i couldn't stand listening to it during several hours like i do with my actual config.

I had the Naim muso for several week and i found the sound quite interresting albeit i found a bit too much bass for my taste. I also read that partnering Naim with other brands could be risky and i can only afford to change the amp right now.

I also checked furher options up in the Marantz ladder but i think the pm8005 will be too close to the pm6005 in performance and the step further is much more pricey (PM14S1 SE => 2990 €).

I'm not sure i can find some Abrahamsen amps here in France, i'll check for that, thanks for the advice.

What about pluging the 851N directly to a power amp, is it OK or it's better to use an integated (not the budget for pre amp + power amp) ?

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answers and advices.

Feedbacks like this one refrains me a little bit about the pm8005 : https://www.avforums.com/threads/marantz-pm8005-versus-pm6005.1936028/

What about Rega amps, nobody mentionned them ? An article in What Hi-Fi (march 2016) mentionned the elex-r as a good combination with the 851N and another article (July 2015) that it pairs well with Tannoys XT6F. Any feedbacks ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
kelfab said:

Feedbacks like this one refrains me a little bit about the pm8005 : https://www.avforums.com/threads/marantz-pm8005-versus-pm6005.1936028/

What about Rega amps, nobody mentionned them ? An article in What Hi-Fi (march 2016) mentionned the elex-r as a good combination with the 851N and another article (July 2015) that it pairs well with Tannoys XT6F. Any feedbacks ?
the marantz pm8005 will be ok with the right speakers and the sound of the pm8005 is a lot different to the pm6005 the pm8005 has a bigger power supply and is more powerful then the pm6005 is but it's hard to explain what something sounds like on forum .

other amps that you can look at ...arcam A19,A29,A38 ...abrahamsen 2up ,Cambridge Cx60,Cx80 ,Rosksan k3 all very good amps but you need to listen to them on a demo to find out what you like and do not like .

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
kelfab said:

the marantz pm8005 will be ok with the right speakers and the sound of the pm8005 is a lot different to the pm6005 the pm8005 has a bigger power supply and is more powerful then the pm6005 is but it's hard to explain what something sounds like on forum .

other amps that you can look at ...arcam A19,A29,A38 ...abrahamsen 2up ,Cambridge Cx60,Cx80 ,Rosksan k3 all very good amps but you need to listen to them on a demo to find out what you like and do not like .

unfortunately none of them are demoable or sold around me.
sad_smile.gif

kelfab

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
What country are you from and what amps are available were you live that you can demo and have you thought about secondhand on eBay

from France. The nearest dealer sells exclusively Denon amps. There's another one 3 hours away from me who sells Arcam, Atoll, Rotel, Naim, some Cambridge (cx60 / cx80), Linn, Devialet, Rega ...

http://www.hifi35.com/catalogue/amplification/amplificateurs-integres/

But i can't listen to all and they don't sell Tannoys.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
You could always make a day of it. Book in for a demo and say you are bringing your speakers with you.

A day out of your life demo'ing = many years of happy listening.

People can say their opinion on here but it's your ears that count.

rainsoothe

manix said:
You could always make a day of it. Book in for a demo and say you are bringing your speakers with you.

A day out of your life demo'ing = many years of happy listening.

People can say their opinion on here but it's your ears that count.

Yup. Completely worth the trip. Heck, if you can fit them in your car, you could drag your Tannoys with you. Or you can ask for speakers that resemble them somehow, just to get an idea about the differences in the amplification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts