Amp + speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Quite a few questions coming upcoming up but have seen some great answers here so fingers crossed ...

I'm looking for a home cinema amp that will work well for movies but especially well for music. I'll have most of my music stored in mp3 format on a NAS drive or apple tv. Any recommendations? I've looked at the Yamaha DSP AX863SE, Sony STR DA2400ES, Yamaha DSP AX763 - all at £400-600 on what hifi. Richer sounds suggested Onkyo's TXSR307 at £230 but will this do the job or I am better off spending extra on the amplifier?

Also, any suggestions for good speakers - ideally compact speakers for a living room? I was recommended the Kef 1005.2 but have read they're not so good for music.

My budget is £1000 in total.

Many thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi Swippy, Tbh you'll struggle to get any of the more expensive amps you mention as they are just not out there I'm afraid and new models are on their way to replace them. As for the Kef's you can get them from Richer Sounds for £229 if I remember right but tbh if you're after "style speakers" as opposed to normal "proper" speakers there is little point in going for a really top amp in my opinion as the speakers won't do them justice.

If you go for that kind of quality amp I'd say at least get a decent set of budget bookshelf based 5.1 speakers like Wharfdale Diamonds, Tannoy Mercury or Q accoustics 1010's for around £350-£500 mark.

If you go for the little Kef eggs I'd say get them from Richer Sounds at £229 and while you're their get a Sony 820 amp that they're selling now at £229 also and save yourself the money.

Get the 5 year refundable warranty on the amp as well if you do for £23 it's well worth it and then you can relax.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Lee traditional speakers will give you much better stero sound, so i see you have a few options a quality stero amp and pair of bookshelf or floorstanders and add av and rest of the speaker package later. Or one of the suggested speaker packages Lee mentioned,the Q Acoustics would be my choice with an upgrade to 1030i floorstanders and if this is not possible then have a look at the new MA Vectors, a possible 5 star award for 2009. A compact speaker range which sits below the Radius HD range and at £575 some dealers say, their even better then the Kefs and Q Acoustic 1010i's. Im not sure what is the best amp to use, and with you budget i would wait and see what the new ranges are like from Yammy and Denon, the Sony may be an excellent choice, its a qestion of auditioning once youv'e got a list of possible purchases.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for both posts - have seen a few comments on the QA 1010 and MA Vectors - all very positive! Going to head out for a listen of the options you've recommended.

Still confused though as to a decent amp that works well for both music and movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts