Amp & Speakers on their way out!

Sime

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Hello, first post.....

My Nad C370 has a channel that cuts in and out and one of my Wharfedale Diamonds sounds shot to bits so in need of a new amp and speakers.

Such a long time since I bought any kit so I'm after some recommendations. I would prefer an amp with a phono then I can get rid of the old Rotel I have. I notice that the Marantz PM8005 is now at a decent price. I was also thinking of maybe some B&W 686 or Q Acoustic Concept 20. Any other suggestions appreciated, my main source is a Technics SL-1200 with Audio Technica Cart.

Welcome!

What budget have you for amp and speakers? Music preferences? And do you only want stand mounted speakers? Room dimensions?

The Marantz is very good value these days. Going up in price, the Abrahamsen range is popular with several regulars here (though I don't believe a phono stage for your turntable is standard), and beyond that you are in Naim territory. All offer differing presentation.

Might be easier to focus on a pair of speakers that you like the sound and look of that work in your room, then worry about the amp.

Some will suggest secondhand; would you consider that?

Sime

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes got to be stand mount. Having recently moved I have my hifi and record collection in our bedroom which is about 5.2 meters by 4.5 metres.

My music taste is hip hop, I'd imagine if my wife figured out how to use it she'd be listening to urban/ chart music.

I've not got a problem with second hand, as long as it's mint and with the original box. I've been keeping my eyes out for a couple of Rotels 1062 & 1520..... I suppose thinking about budget, £350 for speakers and £500 for an amplifier.

One thing I forgot, I need a set of tape loops for my cd recorder.

If you can find an 8005 then I think it will serve you well. You could get new, if you chose the discontinued Marantz PM6005 with speakers are sensitive as most QAs. An example:-

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah011433

You could afford the matching stands, and have change for a cartridge upgrade or new stylus, depending which AT you have.

record_spot

Just check out some good actives when you're at it. Made the move last August, never looked back. Not for one moment. Performance is way beyond what I expected. You might hear the "actives are just for the recording studio", "too neutral", "too clinical". Baloney. Best hifi buy I made, bar none.

Not all actives are great of course, but then again, neither are regular hifi passive speakers. For your budget though, you might even land a pair of AE22 actives if you can find 'em!

Sime

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
If you can find an 8005 then I think it will serve you well. You could get new, if you chose the discontinued Marantz PM6005 with speakers are sensitive as most QAs. An example:-

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah...

You could afford the matching stands, and have change for a cartridge upgrade or new stylus, depending which AT you have.

I've an AT440MLA cartridge which will do me for the moment, certainly better than the p-o-s that was on there to start with. That's a good deal at Richers. I think I'll need to check them and Sevenoaks as they're directly opposite. Shame really that both components are on their way out. The amp is about 18 years old but it's not had a hard life, kind of annoying it's packing up.

record_spot said:
Just check out some good actives when you're at it. Made the move last August, never looked back. Not for one moment. Performance is way beyond what I expected. You might hear the "actives are just for the recording studio", "too neutral", "too clinical". Baloney. Best hifi buy I made, bar none.

Not all actives are great of course, but then again, neither are regular hifi passive speakers. For your budget though, you might even land a pair of AE22 actives if you can find 'em!

Those AE22 do look decent, bet they're hard to come by. So what do you have instead of an integrated with active speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts