amp size advice for eltax liberty 5+ , help please

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hello all, ime new to this forum, i have joined looking for some help and advice, as all the information i have been reading on the interweb has puree'd my brain !, i was recentlt given a set of eltax libery 5+ of a relative, now i am looking at purchasing an amp for these, and have been reading allsorts of conflicting info about matching the amp to the speakers, the speakers state : impedance 4-8 onms, 100w sinus (constant) power, 150 watt music power (peaks), so what size amps do i need to be looking at regarding both wattage and ohms ?

i do have a budget of between £200 - £300, i will be looking at purchasing a secondhand model, so please no suggestions of £1000 + amps, thanks more looking for advice on the amps ratings, thankyou any advice will be appreciated.

mogsie said:
hello all, ime new to this forum, i have joined looking for some help and advice, as all the information i have been reading on the interweb has puree'd my brain !, i was recentlt given a set of eltax libery 5+ of a relative, now i am looking at purchasing an amp for these, and have been reading allsorts of conflicting info about matching the amp to the speakers, the speakers state : impedance 4-8 onms, 100w sinus (constant) power, 150 watt music power (peaks), so what size amps do i need to be looking at regarding both wattage and ohms ?

i do have a budget of between £200 - £300, i will be looking at purchasing a secondhand model, so please no suggestions of £1000 + amps, thanks more looking for advice on the amps ratings, thankyou any advice will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum...

Have heard your speakers. A friend had some for years before buying Mordaunt Short.

The Eltax Liberty 5s were excellent speakers for the money. My friend at the time had a Sherwood reciever which underplayed the talents of the Eltaxs. I did connect my old A65+ which made them sound very good.

You'll need to get yourself to a nearest dealer (Richer Sounds is ideal) and listen to Marantz, Cambridge or any brand they stock and decide which amp grabs you the most. Hi-fi is so subjective, hence why you've read so many conflicting reviews/reports.

BigH said:
I don't know those speakers but did read someone thought they were good with an Arcam 65+ amp, should get one of those for about £150.

Have to say, Big H, the A65+ is still IMO, one of the best pound-for-pound budget integrated amps I've heard. Prefer it to Arcam's A18, and most sub-£1000 amps. The only thing that lets it down is the perceived lack of power. Shame Arcam haven't replicated it long before now.

Love to hear one against the Rega Brio-R.

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hi folks, thanks for the replies, althaugh the advice refering specific brands is appreciated, the main questions i am seeking answers to are :

A) my speakers ohm rating is 4 - 8 ohms, so would it be best to go for a 4 ohm amp or a 8 ohm amp ?

B) my speakers wattage is 100 watts continuose with 150 watt peaks, so do i go for a 100 watt per channel amp or less watts or more watts ?

this is what i am struggling to understand, thanks again

It'll come down to room size and how loud you play music. Most amps will power your speakers without any issues. Don't beat yourself up too much on "spec sheets" For around 4 years I had my A65, with only 40 watts per channel, powering my RS6s without any issues. If you live in a barn or want to blow the walls down then look at a Roksan Kandy or something of that ilk, otherwise sleep easy.

Going back to my original post: You need to hear different amps and see which ones suit you speakers, and more importantly, your ears the best.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Ignore the 4ohm / 8ohm thing, get an amp that you like the sound of at your chosen price, as others have suggested. I had a pair of Liberty 5's and they're quite efficient (don't need loads of power) but do sound best when driven by an amp with at least 50 watts output, in my opinion.

Hope this helps
smiley-smile.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
My tangent Millennium 200 are very simillar to the eltax you have. My HK3390 drives them beautifully., i´ve tried several before..yamaha, Marantz..none compare to the power and drive of the HK

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hello again, thanks for the advice , yeah it is a small room approc 5m x 4m, i dont listen very loud but i do like clarity, i mainly listen to sigur ros, radiohead, and pink floyd, so a wide range of music style, i was just more worried about buying the wrong size amp and either damage to the speakers or causing the amp to run hot.

been looking at a few amps... denon pma350 se

arcam 7r

yamaha as500

marantz pm6010f

cambridge audio azur 540a v2,0

a friend of mine is going to loan me his denon pma 250 to see how that sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts