Amp selection with phono inlet for my ancient LP12 / Basik / K9?

Justin Time

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
I've just retired and plan to reactivate my old vinyl collection and turntable.
Back in the UK during the early 1980s, before children entered our lives, I splashed out on a Linn Sondek LP 12, with a Linn Basik tonearm and a Linn K9 cartridge.
(The cartridge / stylus will probably need replacing!)

I would like to buy a "decent" integrated amplifier that has a phono input but can also handle my Marantz CD player, a sub-woofer, and - pension depending - a future music streaming device. A bonus would be the ability to hook up an mp3 player / Android tablet / phone. My speakers are some relatively new B&W 606s.

I had first considered the Cambridge CXA 81, but it has no phono input. (Is a pre-amp an option?)

The upgraded LP 12 could probably justify a really good amp, but I have a budget of around GBP 1,500 for the amp and a new cartridge.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Justin Time

You could use the CX81 and an external phono preamp although this will use up one pair of the line-in sockets.
Not many stereo amps have a dedicated subwoofer connection
perhaps you could get the cheaper CXA61 to stay within budget.

Justin Time

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, AI ears! Any recommendation for a suitable phono pre-amp to pair with the Cambridge CXA61?
Also, I will need a modern cartridge to fit the Basik tonearm, as I assume a new stylus for an old K9 is probably not an option? Thanks.

The new stylus might be a waste of money in a cartridge of that age. Safer to buy a complete new cartridge.
phono preamp suggestion will depend on your budget, is it now £1500 for amp, preamp and cartridge?
if so I might suggest the CXA61 along with the phono preamp shown below

And perhaps one of the Audio Technica VM range of cartridges like the VM750SH or you could indeed go for the CXA81, same phono preamp and a cheaper cartridge to remain within budget

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I assume that is some super dooper Fono stage you've linked to.
You could get the Rega Fono MM for 100 big ones less. Or get the Rega mini Fono and save yourself £200.
Or am I missing something? Which is likely.

I assume that is some super dooper Fono stage you've linked to.
You could get the Rega Fono MM for 100 big ones less. Or get the Rega mini Fono and save yourself £200.
Or am I missing something? Which is likely.
You could indeed spend peanuts on a phono preamp. Would it serve a purpose? Possibly but for a decent cartridge? No.
And it is in no way super dooper. It's about £300 if you care to look at the link which you obviously cannot be bothered to, and yes it is better than the Reg a items you mentioned.
Unless you have other advice for the OP, please feel free to answer his questions

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
So that could have been answered in one sentence.
'Yes, it is better than the Regas you mention'.
That's all that was needed.
I did ask if I was missing something.

Oh, and clearly I did open the link. Otherwise I wouldn't have known exactly how much he would have saved.

Like it or not, this has now possibly aided some people, as they are now aware of these things, if they weren't already.

Tonestar1

You don't need a dedicated sub out rca socket. You can connect via rca from a pre-out on the amp or direct from speaker terminal if the sub accepts a high level input. I'd be spending my money on a single box with a good quality phono stage and a new cart. Something like this, which gives you a couple of hundred to spend on a cart. If you decide you are listening to vinyl a lot more you could upgrade the cart or add a higher quality phone stage at a later date. It's already got bluetooth apt -x so you can try streaming as well and invest in a dedicated streamer down the line if you think it's worth it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts