Amp replacement

Neil hounslow

Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
I’ve owned my music fidelity B1 amp from new it’s matched brilliantly with a Systemdek IIX with a rega 3 arm & a recent upgrade of a goldring E3 cartridge with Celestine DL5 speakers. The amp is starting to play up which amp would you recommend to replace it as at the time of purchase I had a store near me (Westwood & mason) that let me play with a lot of kit to make my decision and how great it was but now where do I start with new kit?

DCarmi

I've seen quotes for repair and recap-ing at around £200, if you scout around the interwebs.
I'd guess a recap is probably on the cards due to the age of the amp.
It doesn't hurt to get some quotes.

If going for new I'd probably be looking at something like a Rega Brio (price-wise, allowing for inflation.) You must audition though, especially as you are comparing to something you already like and the sound will be different. Your budget is pretty key to the options you have.

rainsoothe

Rightly so.
Often the case that someone reports being perfectly happy with something - but first sign of trouble and they're looking for new.

(I suppose, for many there's always the idea that new must necessarily mean better).
I think it's because you start thinking that if one thing starts acting up, then another will follow suite, and soon you'll start playing whack-a-mole with developing faults.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I think it's because you start thinking that if one thing starts acting up, then another will follow suite, and soon you'll start playing whack-a-mole with developing faults.
That's true, I'm sure that's how they think and there may be some justification.

With some amps though, some well aimed contact cleaner / lubricant will give them at least as many trouble-free years as they've already had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts