Amp repair

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bignige said:
Hi all,

Anyone on here able to look at fixing a Sony amp -or any suggestions for someone who could have a look?

It's a Sony DA9000ES

N

If you head over to PFM there are a couple of Repairers regularly posting. Arkless Electronics being one.

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
What's the fault symptom and whereabouts are you bignige?

After switching on it says "protector check code eleven”

Checked the speaker connections and no issues there.

It is a guy on Facebook I am trying to help and he is in Birmingham.

N

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
any music kit service center should be able to sort it out. Too much of voodoo in our hobby. I recenty paid my local electrician the equivalent of 5 pounds to renew the voice coil of the burnt tweeter of my pmc 20.26 speakers. And when he was done, i measured the resistance of the renewed tweeter with the still intact tweeter, and they both measured exactly the same. I can only imagine what the cost of a new tweeter could be. So, please ask him to look around for any electrical work shop. Dont necessarily need a sony service centre to sort it out, where they will charge him a bomb, which as per them is just a fraction of the cost of the amp

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
newlash09 said:
any music kit service center should be able to sort it out. Too much of voodoo in our hobby. I recenty paid my local electrician the equivalent of 5 pounds to renew the voice coil of the burnt tweeter of my pmc 20.26 speakers. And when he was done, i measured the resistance of the renewed tweeter with the still intact tweeter, and they both measured exactly the same. I can only imagine what the cost of a new tweeter could be. So, please ask him to look around for any electrical work shop. Dont necessarily need a sony service centre to sort it out, where they will charge him a bomb, which as per them is just a fraction of the cost of the amp

This may be slightly different :)

Its finding a repairer that is willing to try in the first instance and one that is local. Shipping this thing may cost more than its worth?

A quick google of Sony's 'Fault Code 11' reveals many wonderful layman diagnosis on what it could be. - From faulty transistors, fuses, simply resetting it to goblins making a home in there. - Maybe I made the last one up.

As Arkless said, big complicated thing in the best Sony tradition. Hope you can sort it.

I still have a STR DB930. Fantastic in 2 channel.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
He should disconnect everything from the amp. No speaker wires, no cables except the power cord going in the mains.

1) If the error code 11 appears again when the amplifier is turned on or after 1h of idling, the amp has a failing component. Could be a simple fix for an experienced tech.

- measure DC offset on the terminals. Is it bigger than 25mV DC?

2) If no error appears, then it could mean the problem is elsewhere.

- there's a problem how the speakers are connected, arangement of terminals, out of phase, or bits of wire touching.

- the speakers that are connected are missmatched in impedance (never combine 4ohms and 8ohms).

- some of the speaker drivers have blown.

- speaker crossover component failed.

- also I'd test the amp with everything disconected, but attach headphones.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
He should disconnect everything from the amp. No speaker wires, no cables except the power cord going in the mains.

1) If the error code 11 appears again when the amplifier is turned on or after 1h of idling, the amp has a failing component. Could be a simple fix for an experienced tech.

- measure DC offset on the terminals. Is it bigger than 25mV DC?

2) If no error appears, then it could mean the problem is elsewhere.

- there's a problem how the speakers are connected, arangement of terminals, out of phase, or bits of wire touching.

- the speakers that are connected are missmatched in impedance (never combine 4ohms and 8ohms).

- some of the speaker drivers have blown are shorted.

- speaker crossover component failed.

- also I'd test the amp with everything disconected, but attach headphones.

Upto your in depth knowledge posts as ever :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts