Amp ideas please.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello All,

I would like to upgrade my amp but am stuck as to how to proceed.

Add a power amp? Buy a different integrated with more up to date technology? My current amp is pretty good really but has technology moved on?

Budget is around £500.

Thanks.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Which Wilmslow Audio speakers do you have?

regarding "but has technology moved on?" its no really, only digital/tripath amps have been 'new' but nothing has really changed technology wise.

Any reason for the change? Whats missing?

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My speakers are based on the Wilmslow Rhapsody but with my own drive unit choice to bring the price in at around £600. They were a revelation after my KEF Q35 mk2.

I feel that i might be missing out compared to the maybe a Rega Brio or Roksan- perhaps there isn't much for me to gain without a hefty investment to perhaps a decent all in one or pre and power combo?

I was going to ask the same question as hoopsontoast.

Adding a power amp is unlikely to change overall sound nor is it going to add functionallity.

I would be looking more towards upgrading your DAC, or even possibly your speakers, as the Cyrus is basically pretty good as far as I recall.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That's useful - I thought extra power would be a popular option - a lot of people, especially Cyrus users, have added power amps and seem to continue using this as an upgrade route (up to 2 x Mono 300).

I would be reluctant to change the speakers at this point as I do really enjoy having something different (they are well made, not DIY in appearance at all). The DAC upgrade is an option.

The spanner in the works is the possibility of getting shot of everything and using a second hand naim all in one as prices start to fall for earlier models/ex dem etc.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
After months of consideration, i have purchased a used MF X-150. Very pleased - it is miles above my Cyrus 8vs. A warmer sound (which I wanted) and more detail. Mainly playing internet radio from Paradise.

All the best.

Glad you found a good upgrade. I once had a (rare) Musical Fidelity Studio T, which was a supercharged version of their Dr Thomas power amp, and it was awesome. It drew so much juice the lights in the living room literally dimmed when switched on! It was stolen in 1997 - they must have got a surprise when lifting it - and I replaced it with the Krell as per signature.

I hope you enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts