Amp help??

JeffRome2023

Jul 29, 2023
Visit site
I have a sony STR DN1080 receiver, two old but still very nice Mirage OM14 floor soeajers, A KlipschSPL 120 powered sub, and Klipsch surrounds and front. I mostly play LPs and watch movies. But music most important. A Fluance RT85 turntable with an Ortofon Blue stylus and a Schiit Mani preamp. I guess my question is..would this system perform better with a separate amp? If so, suggestions under $400?

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Preferably something French, and more so than a preference more as a particular you really truly want something that will break within the first couple months of using it. Furthermore when I purchase a product I buy it on the basis of how quickly it will catch fire, and of course French electronics seem to be the most apt to do that.

All kidding aside, I guess better is relative. My thoughts on a system personally is how much I enjoy listening to music on it. And actually there's the newer Sony 2-channel receiver that you can get for a couple hundred dollars and it's just a fantastic little performer. I mean it certainly doesn't do a whole lot of audiophile things however it allows you to enjoy music. At the end of the day I think that's what matters most, way more so than sound stage or bass definition or any of that stuff.

My argument will be that if you really enjoy what you currently have and you're enjoying listening to music on the system then why change? You're better off taking that money that you would be spending on a separate product or supposed upgrade and buy more records.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Try the Cambridge Audio AXA25 specifically. Nothing digital inside and the input switching is mechanical (in yours and the Marantz PM6007 it is IC-based, more expensive models like the Cambridge Audio CXA61 have relay switches). No remote ofcource. See if all-analogue makes a difference in your ears. The sound will be a little coloured compared to your AVR and not as detailed but also smoother, less strained.

JeffRome2023

Jul 29, 2023
Visit site
Sorry for the ignorance but I've never had an amp. Does the amp in these cases take the place of my Sony receiver? For home stereo and everything. Or connect via the receiver? Meaning I guess can I sell the Sony? I could afford the Marantz then

I have a sony STR DN1080 receiver, two old but still very nice Mirage OM14 floor soeajers, A KlipschSPL 120 powered sub, and Klipsch surrounds and front. I mostly play LPs and watch movies. But music most important. A Fluance RT85 turntable with an Ortofon Blue stylus and a Schiit Mani preamp. I guess my question is..would this system perform better with a separate amp? If so, suggestions under $400?
Hi Jeff.

I'm guessing from your username you are based around Rome. If so you need to find what brands of integrated amps are available and demo directly with your receiver. But make sure it has a good built-in phono stage as it'll simplify the set-up.

Brands such as Marantz, Yamaha, Roksan, Rotel etc etc should give you results required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts