Amp for MA RS6?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Since my last post I am now focusing on getting a second hand amplifier to go with my Marantz CD5001 and the future purchase of some decent floorstanding speakers, I am currently aiming for Monitor Audio RS6. To match my silver CD player I have had my eyes on the Marantz PM7001.

Does the PM7001 have enough power to drive the RS6 speakers or should I save more money and look for a more powerful amplifier? What are my alternatives to the PM7001, including other brands (remote is a requirement)?

A

Anonymous

Go onto eBay and get yourself an Arcam of some sort. If you get an 8, make sure you get an 8power to biamp with. Ideally aim for a 9 and a 9p (perhaps later). There's 10s on there too but the 9s are ideal...

A

Anonymous

The arcams are great i used to own the alpha 8r, i would also look at musical fidelitys x-seris amps- the xa1 and xa2's are fantastic amps that would out perform the arcams in all aspects! oh, there are various power amps available so you can bi-amp. You can get the xa1-xa2's between 150-250 pounds on e-bay, Although there styleing is a little art deco they provide stunning sound and thats what matters!! no remote control with these amps!!! its worth it though.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam Alpha amps are very good, as youll see below, i have the Arcam 9 and M/A RS6 set-up.

I'd go for the Arcam Alpha 8, 9 or 10 integrated amps and possible look to match with the Alpha power amps at either the same time or later on. The Alpha range of amps, in my opinion, have a much better sound then the A80, A85 or the A90 amps.

The Alpha amps have much more punch, midrange clarity and a sweeter treble compared to the DiVA amps. To me, the Alpha amps suit the RS6's down to a tee.

A

Anonymous

d-a-n1979 i agree with what your saying, the arcams offer a wonderful rich sound that will work a treat with slightly forward treble that the rs6's prouduce, however the mf gear in my opion will give a greater level of detail and slam which will make the the rs6's sing. I loved the 8r but changeing to the xa1 a few years back was a good move.

A

Anonymous

there is an arcam A85 going on e bay just now.The A85 was the exception to the arcam diva range, being very good indeed.

A

Anonymous

Well, my audiolab kit works lovely with my GR20's. How much are you looking to spend? I paid (from ebay) 270 for my 8000c and 210 for my 8000p on ebay. A steal if you ask me.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jimm"]d-a-n1979 i agree with what your saying, the arcams offer a wonderful rich sound that will work a treat with slightly forward treble that the rs6's prouduce, however the mf gear in my opion will give a greater level of detail and slam which will make the the rs6's sing. I loved the 8r but changeing to the xa1 a few years back was a good move.[/quote]

The Arcam 8 amp is good but you'd find that the Alpha 9 integrated has much more welly and control over the Alpha 8

With regards to the MF XA-1 amp, yes its very good and partnered with either mono-blocks or a power amp, it'll sing. But, the Arcam alpha 9 or 10 integrated along with the Alpha 9P or 10P power amps (when possible/affordable) will provide a much more open sound-stage with plenty of power, punchy bass, well timed midrange and sweet treble.

The alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps dont lack in power and if you can match them with a good Arcam CD player (Alpha 8SE, Alpha 9, CD72, 73 or 92) the remote will work the amp and the sound will be great.

A

Anonymous

A lot of love for the Arcams it seems. Still, don't write the PM7001 of your list just yet! I had an extensive listen to the 7001 through a Roksan Kandy cd player and I listened to speakers ranging from the RS1's to the RS8, it handled all speakers wonderfully and sounded very good.

My recommendation however: look on eBay and try to find a used PM17, either MkI, MkII or Mk2 KI, just get the one you can afford. A nicely used MkI or MkII should cost about the same as a new PM7001. There's not much between the Mk1 and MkII, the latter just has a somewhat improved power supply, thus enabling it to drive large speakers easily, but the Mk1 can do this also. The MkII KI is a vastly impoved MkII however.

A

Anonymous

A lot of recommendations for Arcam it seems. If I read the specifications correctly most of the suggested Arcam amplifiers are not powerwise any stronger than the PM7001 unless combined with a power amp, is that correct? So the reasons for your suggestions is that you prefer the Arcam sound?

Budget is around £300 now, in May I will be able to spend about twice that much. As for the suggested A85 on Ebay - I do not live in the UK so I will need a seller that ships to Europe (Sweden) as well as an amplifier that I can change the power cord for (the power in Sweden matches UK except for the plug).

A

Anonymous

I'd save your purchase until May, by then you would be looking for a second hand amp such as the Musical Fidelity A5, these can be had between £700 and £900.

A

Anonymous

We planned to buy MA R Bronze5. But after family advice have bought MA R Silver6. And the budget for sound has died. Now I wish to give a gift to the husband. Now at us old amplifier Pioneer. I have not understood that it will be better Marantz 6002 or Rotel Ra-04. Choice only between this devices.
Help me pleas.

A

Anonymous

Regards. But.
It long to explain. But a choice between Marantz 6002 and Rotel RA04.
Other opinions?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It depends on what music you listen too but i dont feel that the Marantz amp suit Monitor Audio speakers very well

I'd be tempted to go for the Rotel as it his just that bit more welly and it will make the speakers sing better!

A

Anonymous

Best musik - Jazz, New Age (with Electronic), Classic, New Classic. Mark Knopfler, Crees Rea.

Tomorrow day of purchase. My internal voice speaks me Marantz 6002 Monitor Audio (M&M :) ). In spite of the fact that in magazine it is noted by pencil Rotel. I think, that my family will not condemn me.
Help me the God.

A

Anonymous

It seems WHF has a good deal for Primare I30, £598 according to the buyer's guide in the March issue. I'll just pick one of those up in May ;).

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
It's got to be a mistake - it must be the lower powered amp for that price.

I'd buy one myself for that price! - the i30 that is.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jane Lee"]Regards. But. It long to explain. But a choice between Marantz 6002 and Rotel RA04. Other opinions?[/quote]

I have Rotel RA-02 with MA Silver 8i and now that I've messed about with speaker placement the combination sounds great.

To be fair - they always sounded good but I wanted a bit more bass. For mid-range and treble - great match. Presuming the RS6 is similar to previous models then I'd go for the Rotel.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

We have buy Rotel RA-05. It is the just fine device. Even I have heard that it better than Marantz 6002.

All thanks.

A

Anonymous

well, my MA RS6 are driven by a RA-05 and I am quite happy with this combination. Not long ago I replaced the RCD-06 player with Marantz CD6002 and now I am REALLY happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts