Amp for B&W CM1 - CA 840a, Cayin A50t or Roksan Kandy K2?

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Your opinions please, since we aren't talking chump change hre. My Brio 3, while doing an admirable job, can't seem to really unleash the CM1's.

The Cayins would be the cheapest of the lot at around $700 discounted. The dearth of reviews though is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Highly recommended by my retailer, though. Not yet heard by my ears too, I must add.

The 840a's appear to have good spec and a tight build; sound pretty good with MS Avianos as well. To be honest though, the lack of gravitas vis-a-vis serious "audiophile" brands is giving me a bit of pause. Concerns mostly related to the lack of brand heritage and such...I can pick it up for about $900 discounted.

The K2's are a WHF five-starrer so I definitely think these will be seriously good for the money. It's being offered for about $1100 discounted by its distributor so that should be a bit of a bargain already. They handled the MA Silver Rx at the store pretty well. On the downside is the fact that it only comes in silver over here, and my CDP is black. WAF may be imperilled.

All help appreciated. Cheers!

A

Anonymous

That really depends on the sound you prefer. You have nice options.

Cayin = smooth and pleasant (relaxing, and perfect for background music)

Roksan = very dynamic, impactful and lively (my personal choice in this list)

Cambridge = fast, detailed and 3d staging (great choice for analytical listening)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Obviously, only a good long listen will answer this question, but I would say you need an amp that does not lean toward the bright side. I love the CM line of speakers, but the treble can be too much of a good thing with the wrong amp. This is a really tricky thing because bright treble will sound great in a short demo because of all the apparent detail, but most people are unhappy with this long term. Arcam, Primare, and Naim might be good choices...

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys! Will give your input some thought.

Roksan on top of my list as well, although the color available will make it a tough call.

As for Naim, I wish I could afford the XS but it goes for around $1,500++. No dice at this point.

The Arcam A80 is on sale for about $650 so maybe I should give that a listen soon. Just not sure about synergy with the CM1's because the feedback I get is that they may not "get along".

Cheers!

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The CM1's sound a bit restrained with the A80's, much unlike how the Focal 800 series bookshelves sounded with the Arcams :-(

Shopguy says it must be due to the metal dome tweeter of the B&W's...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts