Amp crackle/static

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Dear All

I have been having a strange problem for a short while and would like some advice. I recently upgraded my speakers to a pair of Harbeth SHL5+ which as you can imagine are rather wonderful however a few days in and I get a crackle in the left speaker after about 30-40 minutes- the crackle is like a low volume static interference and the volume in that speaker reduces. I reverted to old speakers and it was still there so thankfully it is not the Harbeths ( I also checked them on another system- no problem). After much swapping of cables, sources etc I have narrowed it down to the amp an Arcam A29. It only occurs occasionally and only once the amp is fully warmed up and only on the left channel .

It is just over a year old so should be under warranty although I bought it in the UK and currently live in Belgium I don't think that should be a problem. I will contact Arcam and hopefully get in fixed but in the meantime does anybody have any idea what it might be? I have changed all cables and am now using an old Marantz amp which is adequate but reliable. I am annoyed as the source (CDP currently a Marantz CD6004) was next on the upgrade list before a new amp.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
it could be something as simple as a dirty track on the volume pot, if it's an analogue one on that particular Arcam. You could try switching off your source and turning the volume up and down, if the pot is dirty the crackling should be evident as you sweep it up and down, hopefully it's just that.

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the swift reply, no I have tried that: It is independent of the volume knob- it does not happen when the volume is changed nor is there any crackle when there is no source- ie it only happens when something is playing regardless of source (CDP, Streamer or TT). It happens at low and high volumes. It does not happen between tracks, it does not happen all the time, it can happen for a couple of minutes then nothing for half an hour then for five minutes then nothing for an hour and half etc., although it seems to be getting more frequent.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the amp is faulty as you've swapped everything else out. As it seems to be when the amp is warm a capacitor would be a prime suspect or even a faulty soldered joint. Hopefully nothing expensive.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
prospero108 said:
It is just over a year old so should be under warranty although I bought it in the UK and currently live in Belgium I don't think that should be a problem. I will contact Arcam and hopefully get in fixed...

I would arrange the repair through the dealer if under warranty.

I know Audio-T (and some others) have three year warranties on amps so you should be ok.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
paulkebab said:
the amp is faulty as you've swapped everything else out. As it seems to be when the amp is warm a capacitor would be a prime suspect or even a faulty soldered joint. Hopefully nothing expensive.

Agreed. A 'bacon frying in the distance' noise is typical of a capacitor failing. Caps used to last for ages, but these days you can't use the toxic soup that was used as the electrolyte, and the new formulations don't seem to last as long. You should expect a cap to last much longer than a year however, so hopefully Arcam will repair it for you.

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Just for the sake of completeness and to compliment good service when it occurs. My A29 is now back with me after Arcam agreed to fix it under warranty and got their Belgian distributor to send it back to them at no cost to me apart from a short trip to the docks in Antwerp (which was no hassle and involved a good lunch!!). Arcam replace the loudspeaker relays and returned it to me within 8 weeks.

It's nice to have it back.Thanks for all your help and thanks to Arcam for sorting it all out for me.

prospero108 said:
Just for the sake of completeness and to compliment good service when it occurs. My A29 is now back with me after Arcam agreed to fix it under warranty and got their Belgian distributor to send it back to them at no cost to me apart from a short trip to the docks in Antwerp (which was no hassle and involved a good lunch!!). Arcam replace the loudspeaker relays and returned it to me within 8 weeks.

It's nice to have it back.Thanks for all your help and thanks to Arcam for sorting it all out for me.
Great result! I'm sure it's wonderful to have your music back, especially with those beautiful Harbeths.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts