Amp + CD upgrade

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking at spending around £1200 on upgrading my Amp and CD player. What would be the best parts to buy to go with the AE Aelite 3s. Would buying the NAD C272 power amp be an option too consider rather than buying a new integrated amp?

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Well I listen at moderate to loud volumes to all kinds of music. I really want to improve the bass and midrange. I'm Looking for Deep, Punchy bass with good instrument separation. When i listen to the system I have now it gets a bit tiring and find myself having to turn it down (right the way down) I like my music to sound fairly exciting, Somebody on here said this... 'i like my music to have a get up and dance or grab the "air guitar" feel to it' Which i would have to agree with.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Conveniently, especially as I haven't heard them myself I have here a mag test review of your speakers. Very favourable and they seem a perfectly normal load and reasonably transparent/neutral according to the blurb. Just means you can look for quality. Reading your brief I'd say consider a good valve amplifier, perhaps something with KT88's which add some pizzaz without sacrificing to much 'sweetness' of say a EL34. There are a number of options/manufacturers such as Jolida or Icon Audio and others. Don't be put off by relatively low power ratings compared to Transistor amplifiers. A good valve amp will sound life like, incredibly punchy (again compared to SS) with amazing detail within the soundstage. There are many different designs, some sound warm, others dont. Its important to get the speaker match right though as they dont usually have the load driving ability of solid state amplifiers unless you spend a fortune.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
in the context of this thread? Difficult, there's a lot of choice and it really is a question of finding the right match. Puresounds 'bewitch' is a good amplifier, praised a lot and looks good but its price seems a little bit steep considering how much they are 'china direct', even considering postage and the tweaks the uk importer has specified. Still, for warranty purposes and the improvements made its not really a clever option imo to import so the price is roughly in line with other products here. Prima Luna, Melody, Icon etc all make well reviewed products, some a bit more costly than the budget here, others within. A crossover product such as one of Unison Research's hybrid integrated amplifiers may also be a good option, especially if higher power is important.

My experience with valve amplifiers other than very brief listening to the recent A30 and a melody integrated is with older products so I can't be specific, sorry.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, got a bit carried away

Yes, Sevenoaks do Arcam amongst others, Richer's have Cambridge audio and I believe the new pioneers. Personally I'd discount Arcam. They certainly dont have the 'air guitar feel', on the other hand they are unlikely to wear you down, that goes pretty much throughout the range. Safe but ultimately uninspiring and I'd have a fair guess that you soon want more. I'd certainly put the CA's on a shortlist.

If you want something more conventional, also audition cyrus'es 8vs2 with something like the outgoing 8x player, or, if you can stretch, the newer 6se. Punchy, exciting and upgradeable. Slightly overblown bass with the amp. A psx does help to improve that but before you know you spend a fortune and there are better alternatives available.

Enough said.

A

Anonymous

I just replaced my NAD C370 with an Arcam FMJ A32 £699 brand new (used to retail at £1300), the difference is amazing. The base has tightened up amazingly and this amp has far more punch. It made my Nad (which I thought was great) sound muddy in comparison.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Bert Puttocks:
I just replaced my NAD C370 with an Arcam FMJ A32 £699 brand new (used to retail at £1300), the difference is amazing. The base has tightened up amazingly and this amp has far more punch. It made my Nad (which I thought was great) sound muddy in comparison.

ÿ

Now get yourself a matching power amp!

Oh and a new CD player, the Cyrus seems to be the hot one.

ÿ

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
That sounds like a great amp. Where can you get them for £699 from? Are there any £600 cd players that would go well with it?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With regards to the above posts i'm in total agreement...

I dont think you could go far wrong with the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp and possibly the Arcam CD92/CD192 CDP's.

Both will suit your taste in music and speakers very well. Plenty of bass which is deep, fast and punchy. Well timed midrange and smooth yet sweet/crisp treble.

If youre not looking to spend too much maybe take a look at the new NAD C355BEE integrated amp; very VERY good amp and i demo'd it a month or so back at my mates with a set of AESprit AE309 speakers which he's bought for his dining room.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I got the Arcam FMJ A32 and CD36 new from Sevenoaks HiFi in Brighton for £699 each. I havent seen them elsewhere at quite such a good price but i can say they work well and at that price are amazing value. They were on limited stock so i wouldnt bet there are any left now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts