Amp (budget/secondhand) plus speakers advice, please

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi. This is my first post so be gentle with me [;)]

My set up at the minute includes Pro-Ject Debut 3 turntable, a Denon av reciever and a set of KEF eggs. I had a turntable set up in the 80's and 90's before going to CD and then the av route but last year I had an urge to go back to vinyl and bought the turntable. It sounds ok in my current set up but can't help thinking it would sound a whole lot better running through a decent stereo amp and speakers. Now this is where you lot come in hopefully [:D] For one reason or another I don't have a very big budget at the minute so I'm looking at buying a secondhand amp off ebay for around the 150 mark, I'm fancying an Audiolab 8000A or possibly a Cyrus 3. I mostly listen to Radiohead, Muse, U2, Indie etc. But also a lot of the old stuff like Clapton, Hendrix and so on. Anybody got any thoughts on which of these amps would suit my taste the most or any idea's on alternative's. Also any recommendations on speakers, either new or old that would suit these amps. Again I'll be looking at spending 150 at the very most and I've been contemplating speakers such as Tannoy's V1, Mission's Mx1, MA's BR1 or anybody know any good old classic standmount's around for the same sort of money? Obviously buying secondhand I probably won't get chance to audition so all help really appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Troy62:Hi. This is my first post so be gentle with me
emotion-5.gif

Hi,

Have altered your original post title (gently, of course) to attract more interested users, and thus hopefully more advice.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
In terms of the speakers there are lots of very good budget ones at the price you are looking at. If you wanted to go second hand you could see if to can pick up some quad L11 or L12 which I liked alot for about that money. Epos 5i or 12.2/12.i could also be options. If you could push budget a bit more you may be able to get some avi neutrons, I love the latest version and the iv also got some very good reviews.
I have not got much experience with amps but it may be worth checking outsecond hand arcam as well.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
In terms of the speakers there are lots of very good budget ones at the price you are looking at. If you wanted to go second hand you could see if to can pick up some quad L11 or L12 which I liked alot for about that money. Epos 5i or 12.2/12.i could also be options. If you could push budget a bit more you may be able to get some avi neutrons, I love the latest version and the iv also got some very good reviews.
I have not got much experience with amps but it may be worth checking outsecond hand arcam as well.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's chaps, some good suggestion's. I'm liking the idea of the Quad's. Fancied these years ago but were out of my budget then and thought they still were so never bothered checking them out. Am I right in thinking you can still buy the 11's new, not that I could run to that just yet. The AVI's look like an interesting proposition as well, I'll keep an eye on prices. I would certainly rather have either of these in a system than some new budget ones. AL13N thanks for the link mate, I'll check them out and see what they've got.

So has anybody got any thoughts on the amps? I'm leaning more towards the Audiolab for some reason and think it would make a good budget system with one of the above speakers so any input from you guys would be welcome.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Troy62:So has anybody got any thoughts on the amps? I'm leaning more towards the Audiolab for some reason and think it would make a good budget system with one of the above speakers so any input from you guys would be welcome.
Found the following on another website:

"this (Audiolab 8000A) integrated amplifier proved to be one of the best selling pieces of hi-fi in the eighties. Costing around £400 when new this amplifier was a serious genuine audiophile amplifier with a superb three dimensional sound stage and fantastic imaging at very competitive price.

The favourite combination of yesteryear was to partner this amplifier with the Epos ES11's, however speakers such as the Quad 11L bookshelf speakers mounted on Partington Dreadnoughts should really make the Audiolab 8000A sing like a bird."

No idea how true that is but thought I'd share.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for that fella. Looks like I'm thinking on the right lines and should have a stonking little system for the cash. I'll let you know how I get on.

jovend

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
"...Quad 11L bookshelf speakers mounted on Partington Dreadnoughts should really make the Audiolab 8000A sing like a bird."

Fully agree with this , perfect combo i might say. I demoed them, and although the quads where not on proper stands, these sounds amazing. I currently have the Quad 11L classic and Marantz PM6003, was a bit short of budget then that's why but will be sure getting the Lab next month.

Just a further note. This Quad , in my personal opinion, is pretty revealing thus unforgiving.If you feed it with so so mp3s, quality is very much noticeable so better consider also your source.

Happy Hunting!

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for this. I'm getting a bit excited about these now, can't wait to hear them. Best start bidding lol.

Already got a really good pair of sturdy stands so that's not a problem. To start with the only source that will be going through them is the turntable. I've got an iPod classic but I'll carry on running that through the Denon until I get a decent dock to go with the Audiolab.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to go on with this but I thought I'd decided on the Audiolab 8000a with the Quad 11L speakers but my local hifi dealer has thrown a spanner in the works. I've been watching a couple of pairs of Quads on our favourite auction site. One pair with starting bids at 150 + p&p and another pair buy it now at 180 + p&p. Now the dealer is offering 11L2's at 239 brand new with 5 year Quad warranty and I get to choose the finish I want and can demo them with Audiolab gear. Obviously on paper the new ones are by far a better deal but how do the 2 compare? Are the 11L2's as good as the 11L's? What are the differences between the 2? HELP.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just like to say thanks for all the advice.

I stretched the budget a bit on the speakers and bought new from the dealer. Got them in piano black and they look superb. Finally got the system all set up yesterday and it really does sound the part, a bit on the bright side at the minute but hopefully that will calm down when the speakers are burned in. That's a question if anybody could answer. If I play them for say 2 hours a night how long do you reckon it would take for them to settle down? I think the amp and speakers are showing up the limitations of my cartridge though so that's next on the list. Thanks all
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts