Amp and speakers

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a old REGA planar 3, and a Denon MD30 mini system + Wharfdale dentons (v. old)

I am pondering investing in a NAD 316BEE amp and a pair of MA BX2 Bronze , and then using the Denon as a CD player and sending the pre-amp output of that into one of the inputs on the NAD amplifier.

I have 2 questions really.

1) is the above possible from a wiring point of view and

2) is the NAD and MA a sensible combination. I can easily audition the speakers, but audiitioning a NAD amplifier seems virtually impossible unless you live close to a Sevenoaks hifi shop (none near Liverpool)

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Question is not boring you're just waiting for someone, if anyone here to have run a modern Nad amp with your chosen speakers.

If you're going buy blind (or deaf!) then Marantz with the BX2,s is well respected combo. Can you not try get a cheap second hand dedicated CD player instead of using a the mini system?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In order,

Check what outputs you have on the MD30.

Idealy you need a fixed line level out, ie not affected by the volume control. If you have that then you are good to go, just treat it as you would a regular cd player and connect to your amp in the usual way.

The Nad and Monitor Audio combination is well liked but the C316BEE lacks a phono stage for your Rega.

Go to your local dealer and as him to play you the speakers with an amp that has the phono built in, maybe a Denon. Get him to play other amps that fit the bill, buy the one that sounds best to you and has the facilities you want.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cisamcgu said:
Thanks for the replies. I already have a phono stage, a Rega mini A2D - so another phono stage in an amp would be a waste of money ?

The back of the Denon mini system is http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/denon/ud-m30.htm - Would the line 2 -OUT be what I am looking for ?

Thanks

Andrew

Sorry, you didn't mention the phono stage in your OP, in that case you are right, no point in paying for another.

To be realistic, most of the better known amplifiers at this level have pretty much the same capability soundwise, they will simply present the sound slightly differently, ie dark/bright, more bass/less bass etc, etc.

In an ideal world just try a few amp - speaker combinations in a dealer and buy the one you prefer.

One final thought, the M30 has a digital output, connect via toslink to an amp with a built in dac (Marantx, Rotel for example) and upgrade your cd 'player' at the same time.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
If they ever get released, the Quad 9AS active speakers might be a good fit.

The M30 also has pre-amp outputs, any active speaker will work fine. Some of which are even available to buy.

Dig at Quad, not you. Who would have thought to see such a respected company producing 'vapourware'.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading about TOSLINK (didn't even know what the optical output was for on the back of the Denon before today :) )

It doesn't look like the NAD 316bee has a TOSLINK input - so, if I was looking for a budget amplifier without a phono stage, but with a digital input - what options are available ?

The marantz and Denon look rather expensive and already have a phono input

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cisamcgu said:
I have been reading about TOSLINK (didn't even know what the optical output was for on the back of the Denon before today :) )

It doesn't look like the NAD 316bee has a TOSLINK input - so, if I was looking for a budget amplifier without a phono stage, but with a digital input - what options are available ?

The marantz and Denon look rather expensive and already have a phono input

The Marantz PM 6005 has a phono stage and a dac, available around £270. Hard to better at this price.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for that information - people are so helpful here :clap:

If I hadn't spent £85 on the Rega phono stage :cry: , I would probably buy it immediately along with a pair of MA BX2 Bronze - since I can audition both of those, as opposed to the NAD, which is impossible to audition within 100 miles of here ..

Oh well ....

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
One thing that occured to me - until today I didn't even know the optical output even existed - is there anyway to check that is is actally working ? I can buy a TOSLINK cable on ebay for about £5 .. but even if I bought that, would I be able to see if it was a working output without actually connecting it to something ?

TRENDING THREADS