Question Amp and speakers for Rega P1

brian220709

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Selling my AV set up and buying a soundbar.
Going to buy an amp and floor standers to go with my Rega P1.
If possible I’d like to stream music to the amp.
Any suggestions with £1000 to spend.
Thinking Cyrus One HD or Cast, can get Q acoustics concept 40 for £500.

Last edited:

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
Any suggestions with £100 to spend.

£100 is a bit tight... Used Rega io plus and ifi or Pro-Ject streamer? Edit: +Argon Stream, arguably the cheapest "good" streamer, but still slightly north of £100.

Last edited:
The Q Acoustic concept 40’s have been around for a while, would I be better to look at 3050i’s ?

The Concept 40 were launched at £1000 per pair. They’ve drifted down in price as they are pretty much discontinued, though QA still show them in their website. The 3050i are a bit more traditional looking, especially if you like wood colour rather than black or white. Probably a bit warmer sounding in a typical room than the Concepts.

Do check the dimensions too, as they’re all quite deep, and the Concept 40 has a wide outrigger for stability.

Dom

The Q Acoustic concept 40’s have been around for a while, would I be better to look at 3050i’s ?
Hi, brian220709. Have you heard the KEF Q550? At £699 at Sevenoaks. These are awesome true all-rounders that look fantastic. They come with QED XT25 speaker cable (2M) worth £79.95 and are completely free with the speaker.
KEF-Q550-white.jpg

Have a super late evening mate. 🧡

Last edited:

matthewpianist

I'd suggest the Rega Brio for the amplifier - good value you new, but also fairly easily available second hand, and whether you go for the current Brio or the previous Brio-R there's not a whole lot of difference other than in the styling. If you want built-in Bluetooth, the Cyrus ONE HD is also superb - more refined than the Rega but slightly less 'real' sounding.

The Brio will drive most speakers fairly comfortably, and I would suggest trying the Dali Oberon 5. These are great value, look good and are very musically persuasive. They're also flexible on positioning - Dali's marketing of this aspect is actually proven when you listen.

There's plenty of ways to add streaming capabilities, and again the second hand market is well worth a look.

Any suggestions with £1000 to spend.
This screams Audiolab 6000A. It comes with a built-in Dac. @RoA has one and is best suited to go into more detail.

When it comes to speakers, try and demo Rega's own floorstanders. They tend to come with lukewarm reviews but in a real situation they could work a treat.

Otherwise look at something like a s/hand set of Totem Arros. Tiny floorstanders that go surprisingly deep.

Reactions: Dom

brian220709

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Project MaiA S3 + Speaker Box 5 S2
No need for a soundbar optical from TV via amp
P1 will be the weakest link £1000 budget look to spend Funds from soundbar on better Turntable
Pro-Ject Colourful HiFi System Review | AVForums
I’ve just bought a Sonos Arc and Subwoofer and was going to have a separate turntable/amp/speakers at the back of the room but this might be a better option? And cheaper. Not sure what to do now 🤷‍♂️

I’ve just bought a Sonos Arc and Subwoofer and was going to have a separate turntable/amp/speakers at the back of the room but this might be a better option? And cheaper. Not sure what to do now 🤷‍♂️
You could still have the turntable and digital inputs. Just buy a cheap phono stage.

Mark McC

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi Brian220709, just wondering what you ended up going for? I'm basically in the same position with similar budget so would be interested in your feedback. Cheers, Mark

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi, brian220709. Have you heard the KEF Q550? At £699 at Sevenoaks. These are awesome true all-rounders that look fantastic. They come with QED XT25 speaker cable (2M) worth £79.95 and are completely free with the speaker.
KEF-Q550-white.jpg

Have a super late evening mate. 🧡
Dom, I just listened to these today at a store. Comparing them to B&W 600 series. Which do you think are better?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts