Amp and speakers for my bedroom

jcunha

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I have a 3m x 3.60m bedroom and I am trying to choose an amplifier and speakers for it up to around 1000€.
Sound quality is the main priority and i don't care much about 'extras' like direct spotify connection.
For the size of the bedroom I am hoping Dynaudio Emit 10 would be enough (which i liked because they are bassier than most).
I am thinking about pairing them with either Marantz PM6006 or NAD D 3020 V2. If sound quality is not much different then NAD's built-in bluetooth receiver is a nice plus, altought it's low potency makes me wonder if it's powerful enough for these speakers (even thought they claim they can afford to use just 30 watts because energy is used efficiently).
What would you guys pick? (does not have to be any of these)

D

Deleted member 160668

There are a million combinations of amp and speakers, so you are likely to get many responses.

I've spent the last two years buying/trying/selling lots of different amps... For me I've come to learn that I like the Arcam house sound, therefore my choice would be an Arcam A39 (£599) paired with some (2nd hand) PMC DB1i's. That would be a stunning combination and in budget...

However, amps and speakers are very personal, therefore I'd suggest you get yourself to some dealers for a listen to see what you like.

Reactions: Al ears

jcunha

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
Some very good recommendations there. What volume do you listen at?
I don't know how many dBs, but big volume is not super important. I have neighbors and flatmates :)
I usually listen to music at <35% volume on both desktop speakers and smartphone+headphones

Are you sure speakers are the way to go? With flat mates and neighbours would a headphone route be better? In your budget you could have some amazing headphones as well as a head amp/ DAC.
I'd agree, if serious listening rather than background music is required and you have volume restrictions then you are never going to discover full potential of your selected system.

jcunha

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
I'd agree, if serious listening rather than background music is required and you have volume restrictions then you are never going to discover full potential of your selected system.
I already have V-Moda crossfade m-100 headphones. My goal now is to have speakers. I don't expect my flatmate and neighbors to complain if i play music at the right time of the day. But the volume restriction is mostly because i don't usually hear music super loud and if that would influence their price, less loud speakers are probably fine.

D

Deleted member 160668

Ability for loud volume will not influence price. Any decent set of speakers with a decent amp would easily make your ears bleed from too much sound in a bedroom.

Having re-read the stream, I stick with my original recommendation. Both the amp and speakers are excellent value currently. The amp was reviewed by WHF at £1500 when released...
The speakers were £985 when new. Reviews for both are on WHF.

However, as I and others have said, go have a listen to some stuff... See what YOU think... Listen to systems other people have etc.

Ps - If you want to hear an A39... PM me and your welcome to hear mine if you're anywhere near me... I've also got a couple of other amps in the house at the minute too.

Happy shopping and let us know what you pick 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The Emit 10s sensitivity is 86dB/W @ 1m so not hugely efficient.
I run the D3020 with a pair of faily aged Kef floorstanders which are more efficient at 91dB /W @1m and this setup is pretty loud. It's in my sitting room which is 8mx3m and it's loud enough to listen comfortably upstairs at the other end of the house. Not sure how loud it would be with the Emit 10s. If you went for the D3020 it may be worth going for some more sensitive speakers. I've also added a sub for when the D3020 is used for watching films etc. Active sub out is handy for this and, as you say, the AptX Bluetooth is a bery useful feature to have too.

gasolin

In not the review i link to but another review it has a sensitivity of about 84db as i remember and an the Emit M20 even lower. For some reason the Nad D3020 doesn't sound loud and it get's very hot (not as much as the Nad C326 that thing is like a class a amp, even in idle). For such low sensitivity (84-85db) a Marantz PM6006 is the bare minimum, i do must admit that im impressed of how loud i can play with my speakers, it also adds to the impresssion of being loud that it has a good deep and loud bass (full bodied sound).

Emit M20
2018-10-10 11_02_44-Stereo Magazine issue #3_2016 – Google Chrome.png

Will1962

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
I've got a bluesound powernode 2i paired with Dali Oberon 1s and a titchy rel T zero subwoofer its also connected to my tv great little system for a bedroom hardly takes up any room and sounds very nice I don't play at very high levels though. The bluesound app is a peach very easy to use and no glitches in playback I subscribe to tidal Hifi plenty of high quality music to listen to all in well worth the expense . My bedrooms slightly bigger than yours so should easily reach sound levels that are comfortably loud.

jcunha

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone. So, it's been a while since the last time i looked into this subject. I did try some amps and speakers shortly after I opened this thread. To be precise I tried Cambridge One amp (it was the one available with usb connection) and for speakers Dali Spektor 2 and Dali Oberon 3. They were good but not mind blowing, so I did not bought them. Now that I am stuck at home because of the covid-19 pandemic it was a better time than ever to look into it again. And i bought used Dynaudio Xeo 2 for a good price in an auction. And an Astell & Kern Kann for when i can go out again, because I also found new ones for a good price.

Now, ignoring the previous budget limitations I am looking for better over-ear headphones that cost, lets say, up to 700€ (which should be about the price of B&W P9 Signature headphones, although i would still try to get used ones for a better price).

I looked here: https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/headphones/best-over-ear-headphones

For using outdoors I am thinking active noise cancelling ones are most desirable, since i would not have to necessarily turn the volume loud just to block city noises (or I can, you know, just wear the headphones for the silence). Sound quality and comfort would be top priority. Bluetooth wouldn't be mandatory, but active noise cancelling headphones seem to be all wireless anyway.

At the moment I am considering these:

(wireless and active noise cancelling)
Bowers & Wilkins PX7
Sony WH-1000XM3

(NOT wireless and active noise cancelling)
Shure SRH1540
B&W P9 Signature

I know sound quality is a bit subjective and ideally I would have to try them all first. Anyway, what do you guys think about these? Also, how relevant do you think ANC is for listening outdoors?

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Some thoughts:
- If your input needs are simple, studio monitors are the way to go. You'll get bi-amping, position switches, sensible limiting, etc. In all, you can get far superior results there, and often for sensible money.
- Headphones might be worth a look, too. I like my Bose 700 headphones, and also my Shure SRH840s.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts