Amp and Speakers for an iPod setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a very old system in my bedroom used for playing my ipod on. This system consists of a Pioneer A227 amplifier (14 years old) and a pair of very large eltax floor standers.

I am looking to upgrade this system now and was originally thinking of the iTube valve emplifier and dock (£350.00), but I am not sure on the standard of the speakers and whether my Eltax would sound better than these.

Alternatively would I be better spending £350.00 on a different amplifier and speaker setup for the bedroom and if so what would you recommend. I was thinking along the lines of the new NAD C315BEE amplifier and Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers.

Eventually I would be looking to add a CD player to the system.

Thanks

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jay,

350 quid is an extremely limited budget for an amp+speakers setup - but I think it would however be a better option that one of the micro "ipod systems" available on the market... A reasonable ipod dock together with a proper amplifier and a suitable pair of speakers would be the best choice.

I don't know whether you already have an ipod dock, but my suggestion would be for you to get one of those + a very good amplifier for starters - say a second hand Marantz from ebay: either PM7200 or the newer PM7001 (on ebay at around 150 quid and 250 quid respectively). These are amazing amplifiers for their price with excpetional value for money... Then you could see how your speakers cope with that... If then you'll think the speakers are holding your system back - get a new pair; there are great budget speakers these days (like the Monitor Audios BR2 (200 quid), or the new Tannoy Mercury F series (starting from 100 quid), or the Mordaunt Short 902s (150 quid), the new budget B&W range and others...)

What do you think?

Razz

A

Anonymous

Thanks Raz,

That sounds like a very good idea and is currently what I have. Inititial research shows ebay have one of each amp you mentioned at the moment at a very reasonable price.

The iTube is in fact a small valve amplifier with one additional output option. This also has a connection for TV so you can have the iPod menus on the TV screen and can also play ipod videos and view photos. It is supposed to provide a very warm sound output.

If I decide to go down the marantz amplifier route, I am also thinking about purchasing one of the ichord connection cables. What speaker cable would you recommend? I would probably spend a fair bit on this to take into account any future upgrades to the amplifier / speakers?

Thanks for your advice

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
My pleasure to be of any help Jay,

I think you can find pretty good prices for QED cables, or Wireworld cables. I'm sure you could find good deals on ebay too just to save a few quid :) But basically any cable which costs around 5 quid per meter and has no horrible reviews should do the part...

The important thing is to biwire your speakers - if they are fitted for biwiring, which i think they are...

The iTube is not a bad idea either - only it will have a 'smaller' sound than a 'mighty' Marantz, and possibly a tad 'nuanced' sound to ensure a 'safer' listen. It's often the case with equipment conceived mainly for compressed formats; it's a way for manufacturers to prevent any aggressiveness from the lossy encodings...

So it's up to you now if you chose the neat and stylish, but more 'timid' and polite iTube, or the more 'orthodox' (from a hi-fi point of view) powerful but less spectacular amplifier ...

Either way keep us posted and good luck!

Razz

A

Anonymous

Cheers Razz,

This is a second system for the bedroom so dont want to go to mad. But seeing as I already have an integrated amplifier and speakers that is more than likely what I will upgrade to. My music on my iPod has actually been transferred using Apple Lossless to achieve a higher quality of sound rather than MP3.

I have actually heard the Marantz amplifiers and I think which ever one of these I can get first at the right price will be the way to go. In addition to this I am thinking of the ichord intercoonect cable for my ipod dock (by chord) and some decent speaker cables.

After a while I will then look at upgrading my speakers I actually quite fancy a pair of bookshelf Quads or something similar.

Thanks for the help Razz, I'm sure I will see a positive improvement.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jay1403"]
The iTube is in fact a small valve amplifier with one additional output option. This also has a connection for TV so you can have the iPod menus on the TV screen and can also play ipod videos and view photos.

[/quote]

Hi jay1403 - just interested in your comment that you can have the iPod menus on screen when using the fatman itube. do you know this for a fact - cos I can't find any mention of it in the (limited) itube instruction manual or the fatman website, and I have linked the itbue to my TV and the menu functionality that you mention isn't working (haven't tried s-video connection, just the 'yellow' video connector supplied with the itube).

anyone else know if this works?

also, anyone heard Monitor Audio BR5's on an itube? am considering some, but minimum suggested amp power is 30W and the itube is only 25W pc. is this a problem - any opinions?

A

Anonymous

Don't you like it when people answer their own questions? - I just called Fatman and the itube doesn't have the functionality to display the ipod menu on the TV - shame as it would be a nice feature, maybe for the next gen...?

still interested in anyone's opinions re speakers...

A

Anonymous

Well according to my mate who has a Fatman amp, he can get the menus on his tv screen using the tv / video connections........I must have misheard him I will double check tonight when I speak to him. However if Fatman have told you no I am sure they know their own products.

Jay

A

Anonymous

cheers Jay, if your mate has got the menus working on his tv please post how he has done that as it would be a great feature

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts