Amp and DAC for Wharfedale Diamond 220?

AndrewMoore

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, glad to finally be a member after reading the site and forum for a long time! I've just ordered my first set of high quality speakers, the Diamond 220s and now I'm after an amp and DAC to go with them.

My budget is fairly tight, I'd like to keep the amp/DAC combo well below £200 if possible, lower the better! I was thinking something like the Topping TP-22 or SMSL SA-50 for the amp, and then something like the ObjectiveDAC for the DAC? I'm really not sure though.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you need a usb dac, the Behringer UCA202 is under £25, gives you a bit more money for a better amplifier, the Denon PMA720 can be had for £160.

AndrewMoore

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, yes it would be a USB DAC. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid a full size amp like that would be too large, I also really don't need that many inputs/outputs. Just one in, one out is fine. The form factor of class D/T amps like the Topping is perfect.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
AndrewMoore said:
Sorry, yes it would be a USB DAC. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid a full size amp like that would be too large, I also really don't need that many inputs/outputs. Just one in, one out is fine. The form factor of class D/T amps like the Topping is perfect.

Fair enough.

Most of the small amps you are looking at will do what you ask, though real world power is limited and you are unlikely to be able to audition befor you buy.

Cheapest mainstream desktop dac/amp I can think of is the Musical Fidelity V90, thats £249 though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts