Amp Advice Please

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]After my 4th Arcam amp died in a shockingly short amount of time, I'm now looking for an amp around £100 - 200 new or used that will stay the course. [/font][/style]

[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]I've been through 4 Arcam and 3 Cyrus amps and whilst I love them for different reasons I have found them to be of questionable build quality, Arcam in particularly. Sometimes I've bought used from hi-fi shops, sometimes brand new, but never had any luck. [/font][/style]

I'm looking at Yamaha or Denon, again new or used suggestions are welcome.

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
My friend recently dought a Denon pma720 AE, its in your budget and in my opinion, great

[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 11pt"]I've been looking at the 720 and 520's. They come up cheap enough. Oddly i'm looking at the Fatman listings. haven't heard a Valve amp in years. But I've been concentrating on Yamaha's and Denon's. The Yamaha S201 ... not sure about the push button tone controls. Anyway, I digress. thanks for the advice. [/font][/style]

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have no idea about fatmans, I am new to this also, so probably I am impressed easier than others.

I have also been looking at Yamaha Amps. I am happy with my own system but due young kids and where I live, have to listen at night either through headphones, or at low volumes. I prefer no headphones and have read that Yamahas loudness control is not just a gimmick, but helps really improve low level listening. I'd imagine it may improve on my old marantz but I don't know for sure and no real good hifi shop near me to try. I will say though that if you are looking at the AS201, that for a small amount more you could get an AS301 that has a built in dac. This may or may not be of use to you, but it's worth keeping in mind

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Yeah ... the S301. I would ... but it's at the top of my budget, and I'm not felling that generous at the moment :) I can't find an S301 under £199, which is probably a bad quibble considering it's got a build in DAC. Just trying to keep the spending as low as possble :( but can't deny even at £199 the S301 is on my list.

insider9

I've not listened to Denon but Yamaha AS501 sounded really sterile to my ears. Bags of details but it felt like all life was sucked out of music. That's coming from an Arcam owner. Bright side of neutral but not a very likeable presentation.

I could definitely recommend Onkyo A9010 really good amp. These normally go for £199 recently went up to £229 but second hand around £140 mark. I sold mine for £120.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Yamaha AS501 sounded really sterile to my ears. Bags of details but it felt like all life was sucked out of music.

That's interesting because I had a yamaha receiver and I thought the same. Plenty of power and detail, but just lacked musically

Gray

I once had a home loan of an Arcam amp and one channel was dead (on headphones only) Unlucky, maybe, but it doesn't say much for the ('highly reputable') dealer either does it?

All the same you seem to have been very unlucky to have had 7 amps fail (amps of any brand let alone Arcam and Cyrus)

Gray said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
What are you doing to them??

An amp should last ten years easily...

I'd be pretty miserable if any of my components failed within 10 years (I'm already miserable enough)

Reminds me of a song... "Heaven knows I'm ............................"

Personally though if I bought an amp that failed before ten years I would have doubts about purchasing another from the same manufacturer.

Gray

Al ears said:
Gray said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

I'd be pretty miserable if any of my components failed within 10 years (I'm already miserable enough)

Personally though if I bought an amp that failed before ten years I would have doubts about purchasing another from the same manufacturer.

My Cyrus is at least 14 years not out.

As for the song Al, I'm not that miserable but it may be no coincidence that my surname is Smith!

Gray said:
Al ears said:
Gray said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

My Cyrus is at least 14 years not out.

As for the song Al, I'm not that miserable but it may be no coincidence that my surname is Smith!

:) May your Cyrus live long......

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Gray said:
I once had a home loan of an Arcam amp and one channel was dead (on headphones only) Unlucky, maybe, but it doesn't say much for the ('highly reputable') dealer either does it?

All the same you seem to have been very unlucky to have had 7 amps fail (amps of any brand let alone Arcam and Cyrus)

It always starts with the 'crackling through the channels when moving the volume knob, at low volumes. Then death! Each Cyrus 1 amps back in the day, they simply died. The Cyrus III suffered the same volume problem as my Arcams, and then died.

I do love Cyrus, but I can't justify them at this present time, and I certainly can't risk buying a used Cyrus/Arcam only to either have the same issues with the volume control, or to have another failure.

I appreciate/envy those who have amps with no issues. I can only report my experience.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Your story is strange. Could it be that your speakers are particulary heavy demander of current and you like high volume music.

If that's the case, you will have this "adventure" with any unsuited amps you will attach to them. From Audia to Zenith.

Cheap(er) used amps are available from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and Technics.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
matts said:
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Your story is strange.

After a combined 7 amps, it's becoming quite familiar.

If 7 amps failed on you, I would maybe consider a surge protection unit or something. Is it possible your speaker wires are bare somewhere and somehow, at sometime can touch and cause a short. Electrical componenets of course can often fail, but amps generally last longer. I have a 15 yr old marantz budget amp at home, it works 100% still, and a pioneer a400 circa 1991 that chugs along. You are either very unlucky or there may be someting else going on that can be addressed

matts

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]I came across a really cheap Yamaha amp which I scooped for pennies. AX-396. This will be my 'get me by' amp for now. As I design and build speakers, I just need something to fool around with. But I'm working on opening up my Arcam and sorting it out. Just need to get the appropriate gear. It might be a small component to getting it powered up again, but sorting out the scratching volume [/font][/style]control might be a bit more involved. Ultimately though I think me and Arcam might have to part ways though.

[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]Thanks again. [/font][/style]

shadders

matts said:
I came across a really cheap Yamaha amp which I scooped for pennies. AX-396. This will be my 'get me by' amp for now. As I design and build speakers, I just need something to fool around with. But I'm working on opening up my Arcam and sorting it out. Just need to get the appropriate gear. It might be a small component to getting it powered up again, but sorting out the scratching volume control might be a bit more involved. Ultimately though I think me and Arcam might have to part ways though.

Thanks again.
Hi,

What speakers do you design and build?

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts