Amp advice for linn 109

Ken2242

Apr 30, 2024
Visit site
Hi
Was looking to acquire linn 109 for a 6x 4 room to play vinyl as a minimum from planar 1
Looking for some sensible amp matching if poss
Thanks

Although they are listed as being 88dB speakers they are nominally 4 ohm so the gutsier amplifier you can get the better.
Pretty much depends on how much you want to spend really....
Just a thought that most people who might have bought these probably used them in an all Linn system.

Gray

Is it enough to drive the linn majik 109
Your neighbours would probably think so, but the likes of that Leema would sound noticeably more powerful....and it's true that you can't really have too much power.

That 8 ohm is just what the seller of the Leema chose to quote - he could just as easily have quoted the 4 ohm figure - as the amp would be good for that.

The impedance of a speaker is not a fixed value and will go either side of the 'nominal' figure with music playing (so there will be times when a 4 ohm nominal will dip even below the 4 ohms).

Reactions: DougK1

Fandango Andy

It’s 8 ohm
Impedance of the speaker quoted is nominal, it will probably be 5 to 8 a lot of the time, but may drop to 3.

The amp doesn't have impedance, it is quoting the power rating into 8ohms, they could just as easily done it into 4 or 6. The important thing from the amp is current. The lower the impedance of thr spraker, the more current it will need from the amplifier.

I have no experience of the speakers, but by reputation they are unforgiving, do you will need to get their placement in the room spot on, and maybe think about some room treatment (or lots of soft furnishings).

If you don't mind taking a flyer on a 20 year old amp, have a look on ebay to see if you can find a Krell from the early 2000s.

About 1500 for both speakers and amp and preferably includes stands
Yes consider used
Ah, so you’ve not bought the speakers yet? Why those? They are a very nicely made, recently discontinued, three-way stand-mount, best used in an all Linn system.

You should get some for about half-price, say, £750. Lots on the market because quite a few Linnies bought them recently as a way to get a free £1000 upgraded power supply, and Linn wanted to clear them out. I’d look for an amp with at least 50 wpc into 8 ohms, with good current delivery.

A Planar 1 doesn’t really do that lot justice. Better a Planar 3 and more budget amp and speakers, e,g. Marantz amp and QA or Dali speakers. But that’s another question!

Ken2242

Apr 30, 2024
Visit site
Ah, so you’ve not bought the speakers yet? Why those? They are a very nicely made, recently discontinued, three-way stand-mount, best used in an all Linn system.

You should get some for about half-price, say, £750. Lots on the market because quite a few Linnies bought them recently as a way to get a free £1000 upgraded power supply, and Linn wanted to clear them out. I’d look for an amp with at least 50 wpc into 8 ohms, with good current delivery.

A Planar 1 doesn’t really do that lot justice. Better a Planar 3 and more budget amp and speakers, e,g. Marantz amp and QA or Dali speakers. But that’s another question!

Ken2242

Apr 30, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments
Let me expand a bit so you get fuller picture
In living room I have dynaudio excite x32 driven by sonos amp and the planar 1 attached also
The sound is very good I think since moving the dyns out a bit from wall.
Can’t use the planar easily because its position and also its main lounge
So wanted to move the planar to smaller room to listen to with vinyl and also perhaps digital : although also do have a Sonos 5 in that smaller room
So I have the planar and want to move it to other room
Maybe another sonos amp with some speakers on stands ?
Just saw a good deal on the 109 and also read a stereophile review saying they were very good and esp for close to back wall
So that’s all folks

TRENDING THREADS