Amazon Cloud Player on Sonos

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
And with AutoRip it means you can buy a vinyl record on Amazon and play the digital version on your Sonos seconds later :O

http://www.whathifi.com/news/amazon-cloud-player-now-available-on-sonos

John Duncan

Sorted it out last night and it's cool, though I only appear to have ever bought 17 albums from Amazon (which seems odd). I can see a use for buying Premium though, as an alternative to Google Play - whilst Play is free, it's not supported on Sonos, though both give me all my content on all my devices.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Sorted it out last night and it's cool, though I only appear to have ever bought 17 albums from Amazon (which seems odd).

I think Autorip is only available for stuff you buy direct from Amazon, third party resellers don't feature, I bought 3 cds for my B-I-L last month and only two them appeared on my Amazon collection (unfortunately they're both utter bilge, which is part of the reason I'm not that bothered about getting Cloud player!). I can see the appeal of getting your vinyl with Autorip but I've never bought vinyl from Amazon so it's not that big a draw for me personally.

I can see a use for buying Premium though, as an alternative to Google Play - whilst Play is free, it's not supported on Sonos, though both give me all my content on all my devices.

I think I've said it before but it's down to Google to implement it under Sonos, I'm not sure if they'll want to with their Chromecast thing though, although that's so cheap they're not going to be making much money out of it, so they must be doing it as a driver to push Google Play, in which case you'd think they'd jump at getting it onto as many devices as possible, including Sonos.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It keeps getting better

john, not all the new albums qualify for auto rip, it'll have the necessary logo if it does. Unfortunately I can't tell either way when buying through the app, so double check on the website. I did have an album a while back that still hadn't appeare after a month. A quick email and it was put on.

I bought Dark Knight, and the Special Edition with remixes went on my Cloud Player. :)

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
I think I've said it before but it's down to Google to implement it under Sonos, I'm not sure if they'll want to with their Chromecast thing though, although that's so cheap they're not going to be making much money out of it, so they must be doing it as a driver to push Google Play, in which case you'd think they'd jump at getting it onto as many devices as possible, including Sonos.

Yes, acknowledged. But if I were them and saw that Amazon were now on there, I think I might be getting a little nervous...

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
There is also a hack for Soundcloud, should you be a user, which seems to be working fine so far. :dance:

http://www.hirahim.com/projects/sonos-soundcloud/

I'm getting an error message on Sonos, after registering on Amazon website:

"Error
There was a problem authorizing the account.

Please check your internet connection.
Then go back and try again.

If the problem persists, please contact Amazon Cloud Player for help with your account.

Press 'Back' to try again, or press 'Done' to continue."

Internet is working obviously. Any ideas?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BB

i was registering fine as far as the Amazon web page was concerned but kept getting an error message within the app.

In the end I unregistered on the Amazon page, then re did the process and it worked no probs.

TRENDING THREADS