Am I right in thinking that...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Most integrated or pre-amps sold in the UK have a phono input but not a phone stage fitted. So if you wanted a phone stage to play a TT you would have to pay for it to be fitted as an optional extra or buy an external phono stage? I am having an argument with an American about this and he's so convinced most budget amps come ready to plug a TT in that I've begun to doubt myself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Some do some don't.

Take two of the leading price competitors for instance, NAD C326BEE and Marantz PM6002.

The Marantz has a built in MM phono stage and the NAD does not.

The Rega Brio 3 and Mira 3 have good built in MM phono stages as standard.

Arcam's entry level integrated amp the FMJ A18 has a built in MM phono stage.

Musical Fidelity's new A1 has a decent built in phono stage (and a built-in DAC).

Roksan Kandy K2 has a built in MM phono stage.

I cannot make a complete list of all the amps on sale in the UK that have phono stages built in but there are enough.

Decent seperate phono stages start at around £70 and can all be plugged into a spare - line level - input so it is not a big problem

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Catcher:Most integrated or pre-amps sold in the UK have a phono input but not a phone stage fitted.

I presume you mean a "phono stage"? I think I'd be right in saying that if they don't have a phono stage fitted there won't be a phono input.

So if you wanted a phone stage to play a TT you would have to pay for it to be fitted as an optional extra or buy an external phono stage? I am having an argument with an American about this and he's so convinced most budget amps come ready to plug a TT in that I've begun to doubt myself.

I think it depends entirely on the individual amps in question, not to mention what you regard as "budget".

A

Anonymous

What I meant was I didn't think most amps/pre amps came with a phono stage. I know most if not all have a phono input. I thought it was only old style recievers that came with a phono stage fitted as standard. But I stand corrected as it seems 30 out of 111 come with a phone stage fitted without having to pay extra (for either an external phone stage or an internal one).

TRENDING THREADS