Am I gaining anything apart from power?

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
As some of you know, I am 95% certain of my upgrade after a recent demo of the NAD C368 and Dali Opticon 6 speakers. I loved the combination despite WHF giving both 4 stars.

My original post was 'I'm done with Quad again' for reference.

Budget will be available at the end of September, but I've been thinking about what I would gain by spending a little more on the NAD C388 amp. OK, it has more power than the C368 but I don't think that will give me better sound. Or?

In either case, I intend on having the MDC BluOS 2i installed for high-res streaming from Tidal.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: jjbomber
As you say, apart from power output there doesn't seem to be much between them.
Both should be perfectly adequate for your speakers.
The only question might be will you be forever doubting yourself if you go for the cheaper option? :)
Having said that £600 is a hefty price difference, if you were happy with the demo of the C368 I would stick with it.

Reactions: shadders

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I must admit I tend to doubt things sometimes, but you are quite right in saying the price difference is hefty. I'm based in Germany (having got dual nationality last year) and even in Euros the difference is quite a bit. The NAD module is also about 480 Euros, which is on top of the amp price.

I think going from my previous set up (Quad Vena/B&W 685 S2) to the NAD C368/Dali Opticon 6 is a step up. Some might say not a big enough step up, but of course budget is also a key issue. My room is approx 4.5m x 7.5m and I'd like a more room filling sound. The Vena and 685 S2s didn't quite do it for me.

Again, any thoughts most welcome.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Can you afford the C388?
Whilst the Dali's are quite sensitive, the C388 would future proof you for any other speakers you might have down the line.
The extra power might also give a little more control over the Dali's too, and you do have a largish room.
Personally, I have always gone for the most I can reasonably afford, sorry if this doesn't help :)

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Can I afford it? Probably not. Like so many of us, it's easy to think 'if I spend a bit more, that may be better'. Sometime it is, but in my case and budget, probably not right now.

There is a part of me thinking about the award winning Rega Elex-R with the Dali speakers (with the Bluesound Node 2i) but no dealers offer both amp and speakers to demo nearby :-(

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
As you say, apart from power output there doesn't seem to be much between them.
Both should be perfectly adequate for your speakers.
The only question might be will you be forever doubting yourself if you go for the cheaper option? :)
Having said that £600 is a hefty price difference, if you were happy with the demo of the C368 I would stick with it.

Hi AI ears
I've almost got the budget for the NAD C368 amp. Dali Opticon speakers and Blu OS Module. In one month I'm ready to go, but all this waiting has me second guessing.

You know I like the combination/sound of the NAD amp and Dali speakers, but in your option is there another combination I should check out before buying? My budget will be about 3.200 Euros.

Hi AI ears
I've almost got the budget for the NAD C368 amp. Dali Opticon speakers and Blu OS Module. In one month I'm ready to go, but all this waiting has me second guessing.

You know I like the combination/sound of the NAD amp and Dali speakers, but in your option is there another combination I should check out before buying? My budget will be about 3.200 Euros.
Personally I would check out as much as you can before buying. :)
Nobody can tell you what this combination is going to sound like to you in your own home even if they have heard this combination before,unfortunately.

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS