Am i dreaming?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
too much bass and too bright ;) too much effect in all ,we need more balanced speakers,nearly every speaker has too much emphasis in the 90-120hz area and a lot of treble in the measurements.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
too much bass and too bright ;) too much effect in all ,we need more balanced speakers,nearly every speaker has too much emphasis in the 90-120hz area and a lot of treble in the measurements.

The 'smile' effect. It's what sells, particularly at the lower end of the market.

'Brightness' in modern speakers is usually caused by one of two things,

Firstly a desire by the manufacturer for his speakers to sound 'open' and 'detailed', it is also used to balance the 'extra' bass so beloved by many buyers.

Secondly the problem of brightness is often caused by the bass drivers. Cheap bass drivers often break up badly in the higher mid band. Although above the nominal crossover point the peaks caused by the cone breakup are clearly audible, causing a bright sound.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Here is a pic for Vladimir (he likes pics of innards) ...

http://www.i-fidelity.net/uploads/pics/Marantz_PM11S3_innen.jpg

Large screw terminal electrolytic caps and copper plated chassis make me horny.
horny2.gif

http://us.marantz.com/Assets/Images/Products/PM-11S3/c26-marantz-pm-11s3-5-l.jpg

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I can put my hand to heart and say most speakers i listen to sound boxy & boomy. Also treble sounds thin & lacks body. This how most modern speakers sound to me. most may fine it pleasing, but not my cup of tea.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest going with a big Valve Amp. I prefer single-ended, so 845 power valves are usually necessay to get the extra power to drive a bigger selection of speakers.

It is surprising what you can achieve with KT88's though, and a well designed Push-Pull Amp can sound pretty good too and give you the extra 'welly'!

I'd second some of the comments on here, to look at Unison Research Amps. Very reliable, beautifully designed and built to last a lifetime.

I found that some speakers can make valves sound a bit too rich and syrupy. Teamed with Focal speakers, which tend to be very neutral, valves are a great baance.

The great thing about valve Amps is that you can further tailor the sound depending on what make of preamp valves you use. Brimar and Mullard being warmer, Mazda having a bit more punch, Siemens and Telefunken being very open and neutral.

Good luck with your search!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts