Alternative/Upgrade to Denon D-F107

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I've been reading these forums for a while and was hoping to get some advice. A few months ago I purchased a Denon D-F107 mini system, as it was a really good deal. Unfortunately, it developed a fault and I was given a refund rather than a replacement. Rather than purchase another D-F107 or similar, I've been looking at alternatives . Even when I had the Denon, I mostly listened to music in Apple lossless format using my iPad/iPhone through the USB connection. I would usually play CDs only if I wanted to listen to an entire album. I very rarely listen to the radio and could live without it. I'm therefore attracted to the features of something like the Marantz M-CR603 (which I know has been discussed a great deal in this forum), especially the AirPlay support and streaming capabilities. However, sound quality is my main concern and so I'm willing to pay more to purchase separates with these features (CD, digital iPod connection, streaming). I should add the system would be for a fairly large bedroom. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
How much do you want to spend ?

Id think the Marantz + speakers would make for a great bedroom system.

Or, at the risk of sounding like a broken record. What about a pair of AVI 9 speakers (DAC, amps included). Add an Airport express for steaming, any disc spinner (including blu ray or DVD) will do, plugged straight into the speakers via optical cable.

A very neat bedroom system. and as good as it gets.

I see there's a pair of the new AVI9 Red Spots on eBay, although for not much more I'd go for a new pair. £1250

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The Marantz has good reviews and feedback, but I'm concerned about the loss in sound quality from an all in one system. I'd also like some flexibility of having a system for a slightly larger room (as I will probably be moving). The system you suggest sounds great, but is kind of out of my price range as I was looking to spend £600 maximum. If I was going to buy separates, I'd ideally like a decent CD player with at the very minimum a USB input for a digital iPod connection. The other ideal component would be an amplifier with steaming capability. Since I'd be chiefly using the USB port or iPod dock, I would hope there wouldn't be a significant difference in playing lossless files compared to CDs. By the way, I already have pretty decent budget speakers with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
In that case I think something like the Onkyo TX8050 receiver could be worth investigating.

It really does so much for the money, and by all accounts it really is very good. Loads of inputs including digital. If you use one of the digital inputs you could plug a modest CD Player in and get good results, by using the DAC of the receiver rather than the CDP.

HERES THE MANUAL

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/downloads/1/4/6/2/6/Manual_TX-8050_En.pdf

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again. I'm planning to test the Marantz MCR-603 this weekend, although I'm more inclined to the Onkyo TX-8050 at the moment. Unfortunately, there's no where for me to test it right now (even Richer Sounds don't have it listed currently). If I get the Onkyo I was thinking of getting this CD player:

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/c-7030-43149.html

I can't find any reviews online, although the feedback on Amazon seems to be favourable. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also, will my Diamond 9.1 speakers sound okay with either the Marantz or Onkyo?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts