all in one home cinema replacement

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
My dad has a Sony DAVS 880, all in one home cinema DVD system.

He now has blu-ray and Full-HD TV and wants HD audio.
So to get HD audio he has to replace the DAVS 880 unit and cost is an issue.

My question is can he keep the DAVS 880 speakers?
They are 4ohm and wired in round the room.

The connectors on the back are specific to the DAVS but if I cut them off and added banana plugs could this then be used with an new amp?
This way the cost is only in the amp.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
He could keep the 4 surround speakers & the centre speaker, (And use the existing wire. Just cut the Sony specific connectors off, as you say) but the sub on the DAV-S880 is passive (Just a speaker, driven from an amp inside the DAV-S880). A/V receivers don't have an amp channel for subwoofers, so he'll need an active (powered by it's own built-in amp) sub. So the budget will have to cover both the amp & sub.

I'm not sure just how it'll sound, but it should work fine. At least he'll be able to upgrade the speakers in the future when funds allow.

A

Anonymous

I was seeking to do the same and use my legacy speakers from my Sony all in one DVD system (silver one with small cube type speakers) but was advised that there was problem with impedance i.e. these speakers were at 4 Ohms and the amp I was looking to get was rated at 8 ohms (Sony DH800). The subwoofer advice is sound but grateful for any more clarficiation on the speakers issue.

Thanks

Mal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts