Album of the week.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
You're right, Drummerdave, in terms of the music, but there is a quite prominent vocal similarity on a few tracks. I was playing it when it was released a few months ago and my 15 year old daughter popped in to ask, "Is this the new Green Day album?".

I like the idea of the album of the week, but I'm not surprised to see it's been semi-hijacked/derailed by other suggestions. Democracy in action. Dangerous in the wrong hands, obviously. Laura Marling and Mumford are a tad bland and already too well known to make the notion really work for me. I'd much prefer homing in on new stuff. Surely the aforementioned Marling & Mumford can't be that new to anyone. Less Radio 2 fodder and more "oblique strategies" please.

Let's see what Shooter comes up with next. You can't please all of the people all of the time. . .

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
. I like the idea of the album of the week, but I'm not surprised to see it's been semi-hijacked/derailed by other suggestions. Democracy in action. Dangerous in the wrong hands, obviously

Yep and i need to keep a rein on it, not that i want too because the suggestions are good but it could end up with having more suggestions coming in than the weeks in a year before to long. I will though keep all in mind and at times when i'm unable too put one in will chose one, sure you guys are cool with that.

Laura Marling and Mumford are a tad bland and already too well known to make the notion really work for me. I'd much prefer homing in on new stuff. Surely the aforementioned Marling & Mumford can't be that new to anyone. Less Radio 2 fodder and more "oblique strategies" please. Let's see what Shooter comes up with next. You can't please all of the people all of the time. . .

I will try and keep it as diverse as possible and get something in that all folks will enjoy at sometime, i didn't want to go in to obscure and put people off at the start.

Hopefully i will pick something you will enjoy in the future Charlie!

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson said:
Laura Marling and Mumford are a tad bland and already too well known to make the notion really work for me. I'd much prefer homing in on new stuff. Surely the aforementioned Marling & Mumford can't be that new to anyone. Less Radio 2 fodder and more "oblique strategies" please. Let's see what Shooter comes up with next. You can't please all of the people all of the time. . .

Well, not really, at least not for me.

Never heard of them both.

Hey Mr. OP, what's the new album of the week? :D

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
donluca said:
Hey Mr. OP, what's the new album of the week? :D

Cheers doncula, this weeks album is Elbows Seldom Seen Kid. Off of this great album the elbow lads bagged the 2008 Mercury Music Prize and the following year two Ivor Novello awards for One Day Like This (best song) and Grounds for Divorce (best contemporary).

Though this album isn't my fav Elbow album, i like The Leaders of the Free World, this is musically superior and a must listen to any fan or not. Truly remarkable work.

elbow_-_the_seldom_seen_kid_packshot_digital.jpg

Enjoy and see you next week!

A

Anonymous

i wont mention Adele - 19 and 21, instead i will mention Dangermouse and Rome. great idea beautifully done.

good idea though

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for this one Shooter. I was not lucky enough to win the Elbow lp recently and had

not heard them before. Eclectic sound mix, but very listenable. Will seek out some more!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I heard elbows first album asleep in the back in 2001 when I was still at university! it became a bit of a soundtrack to a good time in my life, it's almost a shame now though because every time I listen to one of their new albums I just want to play asleep in the back. They seem to try to make every song an anthem now which I find a bit much. Still a nice listen though!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Another quality recording with some great "anthems" on there. Highlights include Grounds for Divorce, Mirrorball and One day like this.

The latter playing a major part in our wedding a couple of years back.

Will need to have another listen to it again to freshen up the tracks. I havent played it in a while.

John

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Sorry a bit late getting in on this thread.
Firstly, I love the Laura Marling album I Speak Because I Can, particularly the tracks Alpha Shallows and One Day in England and as for The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow, obviously the stand out track is One Day Like This, but have to admit find the rest a bit dull.
Thanks for introducing an interesting thread though.
Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130 speakers.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a great thread. Never heard of Laura Marling but listening to Spotify has convinced me to invest 3.99 ordering cd from Amazon. But I just can't get on with Elbow at all. I know they're current favourites and I have tried several times but just don't get what all the fuss is about. Keep the thread going though.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
This week we have a double header!

First off and the third album from The Horrors - Skying was released last Monday. This band got my attention a couple of years ago when i saw the video for the psychedelic post punk track Sea within a Sea from the Primary Colours album of 2009.

This album has seen them move on again in a similar vein but has a very 80's feel to it; really interesting stuff from the Southend boys.

TheHorrorsSkying.jpg

Second up is Bon Ivor - Blood Bank. This 4 track EP was recorded from the end of 2006 to summer 2008 and released in 2009 nearly a year after their first album release For Emma, Forever Go. Listening carefully you can hear surface noise, presumably from the recording equipment they used at 4 different locations for each song over the year and a half to make it.

Also listen 4 has distinct similarities to James Blake, i wonder if this is where JB got his inspiration.

bloodbank.jpg

Enjoy and see you next week!;

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
This weeks album is from those cheeky lads from Sheffield the Artic monkeys with Suck it and See.

Straight it at No.1 here in the UK and the cover banned stateside for what they think is "rude and disrectfull", eh!

Arctic-Monkeys-Suck-It-And-See.jpg

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Shooter,

a great idea this thread is, but may I suggest that you start a new post each week headed with the date, i.e.

25/07/11 Album of the week....

I think this would make it much more accesible. I can just see this in a few more weeks being a chore to read through everything just to find what new album is suggested. It would be much better if it were simply post No1.

just a suggestion and no offence meant. :cheers:

regards

Dan

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks.

This week were going Irish phyc - pop with Cashier No.9. Out of Belfast and compared to the Beach Boys and Flaming Lips amongst others deliver catchy melodies with vocal harmonies to a new sound.

Been on tour for a while now but only recently put this album together which was recorded in Belast and LA with producer David Homles.

Cracking debut this and i hope you enjoy it!

61xzTwwyuiL.jpg

And see you next week!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
tyranniux42 said:
Shooter,

a great idea this thread is, but may I suggest that you start a new post each week headed with the date, i.e.

25/07/11 Album of the week....

I think this would make it much more accesible. I can just see this in a few more weeks being a chore to read through everything just to find what new album is suggested. It would be much better if it were simply post No1.

just a suggestion and no offence meant. :cheers:

regards

Dan

An excellent suggestion... a good thread and would be a shame if people didn't bother contributing because it were a chore to find the post.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Page five this week!

We are going Electronic with Metronomy and their third album The English Riviera. Nominated this year for the Murcury and been remixing with big names as Gorillas, Franz Ferdinand, Roots Manuva and many more.

cover_Metronomy-The-English-Riviera-2011.jpg

Love Underlined is the stand out track for me, great stuff!

Thanks for the suggestions guys and i've been contemplating the move to dated posts but i'm not convinced wholy by it. When you've searched for the 'Album of the week' and found it all thats needed is to click on 'last page' for the current album. Fairly easy really and if you want to see whats been going on previous then scroll through the pages. Dating eveything will just bring up pages of 'Albums of the week' which then you need to go throug, more clicks more time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts