Akg k553/550

Status
Not open for further replies.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I got recommended a set of Akg k553 to go with my new dragonfly red. I think these look good as they are over ear and haven't much leakage. They seem to be only available in the states though, but a bit of research suggests they are pretty much the same as the Akg k550. Is this true?

Is there anything else you could recommend before I buy, or are these pretty much as good as it gets for the price, thanks

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've not heard the K553's but the K550's leak like any other open back headphones I've heard so if the two models are similar I would't expect too much in terms of the K553's containing the sound within. Mine were the MK1 version, still fantastic headphones though and I much prefer them to my Q701's.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
I've not heard the K553's but the K550's leak like any other open back headphones I've heard so if the two models are similar I would't expect too much in terms of the K553's containing the sound within. Mine were the MK1 version, still fantastic headphones though and I much prefer them to my Q701's.

Thanks luckylion

Ultimately it's sound quality on a budget I'm after. I'll likely buy these based on your recommendation, and dalethorn, who recommended the 553s, which I believe are virtually identical

insider9

luckylion100 said:

I've had a pair of K550 mk1 also. Just before K712 and my wife much preferred the K550. She made no complaints to the noise leakage at all. As they are closed back I'm surprised yours had such an issue. I do agree for the money K550 are difficult to beat which is reflected in them winning WHF award every year for as long as I remember.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've just read the What Hi-fi review of the K550.s and they state they isolate outside sounds from coming in and leakage the other way very well. I'm not sure what happened with my pair then but to me this wasn't the case. Perhaps the seal on my head wasn't a great fit... Anyway the general opinion is regarding sound/price these are a great pair of cans. If sound leakage isn't a common problem they're an even better buy!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Decent price for decent headphones. I'm sure you will enjoy them on the end of your Dragonfly. 

Let us know your thoughts.
My thoughts are pretty positive. It's fairly agreed across anything I've read about these that they are extremely comfortable. My only concern is I don't find them comfortable, but I never had headphones this big and I believe they'll take a few more hours to get used to, I'm confident they'll be fine.

Sound quality is big and clear with plenty of (realistic sized) bass. Vocals are clear and they are lively sounding headphones. Akg may have a sound, they are similar ounding (but on a bigger scale) than my excellent akg k451s, though the 451s are a little more fwd in both bass and treble. I think this is likely intentional as when on the move your probably not as relaxed or concentrated on the music as at home.

Flac files from my phone and computer sound identical to me (I may not have as sensitive an ear as some). Spotify from my computer sounds almost as good (I'd have to swap from one to another to notice a difference between flac and Spotify a lot of the time except with very dense music, Nirvana Nevermind being one example and Slayer Reign in Blood being another, they still sound good but Spotify does show a little weakness here imo). For info Spotify on android does not play to well with any outside DACs and depending on your version of android can be hit and miss.

Listing to a flac rip of famous blue raincoat by Leonard Cohen just shows how good these headphones are, I'm sure the DAC had something to do with the quality also, I'd never really noticed the light bell sounds at the beginning of the song, a joy to listen to. Royksopp debut albums fires fwd with great timing, lovely seperation of all the various pops and bings, with a lovely tight baseline throughout. Insomnia by faithless makes you want to get up and dance, sunrise by Norah Jones sounds great with her voice just right.

I'm no audiophile, but a pair of the 550s with a dragonfly is a not to crazy price to pay for excellent sound quality

insider9

Judging by the comments you probably are an audiophile :) Lovely writeup!

I'm sure you'll get used to the fit. Reading your comments I regret selling mine. I know I rarely use headphones but definitely need a pair of closed back for when wife is in the room.

Glad you're enjoying them!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Judging by the comments you probably are an audiophile :) Lovely writeup!

I'm sure you'll get used to the fit. Reading your comments I regret selling mine. I know I rarely use headphones but definitely need a pair of closed back for when wife is in the room.

Glad you're enjoying them!

Thanks insider9.

On the up side if you ever decide to buy again they are 150 pounds at moment, but often surface for about 100 on the deals here on WHF, so not a massive purchase if required

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I think the 550's are excellent, they can be worn for hours but I've noticed the bottom of the cup usually moves away from my head. No big deal as my girl's hearing is worse than mine. For me the signature of the 550's is a bit flat, detailed but not very transparent however they respond well to EQ and can be driven pretty hard. Good fun!

Gray

Wonder how the Mk3 compared to the Mk1 that you guys have tried? I've just bought a pair for £70 brand new unopened.
Good price.
I bought Mk1 for £99. Spacious sound for a closed back. Swapped them for an older pair of Sennheisers that I'd previously given my brother - which I ultimately preferred.
When the pads wore out on his Mk1, he went on to buy the Mk3 (also for £99).

You've got a bargain - and an easy option to make up a replacement lead in your choice of length, should you wish (a 3-pole mini XLR is £2 or less).

Last edited:

SteveR750

Good price.
I bought Mk1 for £99. Spacious sound for a closed back. Swapped them for an older pair of Sennheisers that I'd previously given my brother - which I ultimately preferred.

You've got a bargain - and an easy option to make up a replacement lead in your choice of length, should you wish (a 3-pole mini XLR is £2 or less).
Yeah, I thought that, unlikley to get anything close for that £££, plus I knew how they sounded, as I bought a pair for one of my sons about 3 years ago. I've had some DT880s that I sold earlier this year, as I ultimately couldn't use them with my phone, and I gave up the idea of buying a dedicated headphone DAC a while ago. I prefer full size phones to in ears though when listening on the PC, but hoping they will work ok ish on a phone too. I've just bought a pair of the BASN Bmasters though on a whim for £63 just in case......

Reactions: Gray

Friesiansam

About K550 earpads. As you are probably aware AKG, very annoyingly, do not sell replacements so you have to find third party pads. At the time I needed them, there was a lot of talk online about said third party earpads compromising bass response. I spent a good amount of time searching around and found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 They were the only ones I could find that, at the time, closely resembled the originals and had no bad reviews. When fitted they feel just like the originals and the sound balance is unchanged.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

About K550 earpads. As you are probably aware AKG, very annoyingly, do not sell replacements so you have to find third party pads. At the time I needed them, there was a lot of talk online about said third party earpads compromising bass response. I spent a good amount of time searching around and found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 They were the only ones I could find that, at the time, closely resembled the originals and had no bad reviews. When fitted they feel just like the originals and the sound balance is unchanged.
That's interesting, I remember my brother telling me he'd bought some non-original Mk,1 pads. I assumed it was due to price rather than a lack of genuine pads.
I will pass this on to him (because I think he still likes to use the Mk1s)
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 188533

This is an old thread guys. Please start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts