AKG K271 Mk II

idc

The latest addition to the collection.

Sound

Straight out of the AKG house sound with expansive midrange, precise treble and bass detail as opposed to bass oomph. If anything there is not as much bass as I was expecting since they are closed backed, but I like that and they do do bass depth when it is emphasised in the original recording. The soundstage is not great. The drivers are closer to your your ears than on the K702. My flat ears still slightly touch the inner pad on the K271s. That was irritating at first, but now I do not notice it.

Sound isolation

They isolate from outside noise very well indeed, when music is playing. In silences you can still hear what is going on around you. They have the super feature of muting automatically when you take them off.

They do leak sound, such that you could not use them at volume in a quiet room sitting next to someone who is easily distracted. The most leakless headphones I have are still the small portable Sennheiser PX200s, but they cannot do listenable higher volumes like the K271s can.

Comfort

Very. They adjust to your head automatically, are very light, have big pads and you can chose between felt and leatherette. I would use the leatherette if it was a recording studio and lots of people share the headphones as you can give them a wipe. Otherwise the felt is lovely and soft and your ears stay cool. I also really like the detachable lead and choice of straight and curled.

Value

I got them for £99 (including delivery) off ebay. With the two sets of pads and two leads, the mute feature and their size and build quality they are good value at that price. But, the baby of the AKG range, the K44, which can be had for as little as £19 have 90% of the sound, are closed backed and only leak a tiny amount less sound and with the leatherette pads are just as light and comfortable. Diminishing returns mean the K271 is really for the audiophile who wants that last amount of detail, but the K44 are still very worthy of consideration.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on your new purchase idc. I absolutely agree on what you said about the k44, they are astonishing value for money. I actually wanted to ask you about ur sr80s. Compared to K702, how would you rate the detail levels? I want something similar to my k702s where detail is concerned but I want more bass for listening to occasional trance and electronic music. Do you think I should save up and go for a 325i instead?

idc

I break out the SR80s when it is time to rock. The detail is there with the SR80s, but it is not laid bare as it is with the K702s.

I have not heard any higher in the Grado range than the SR80s, but talking to a dealer once which stocked the SR60 and 80 and could order higher, to get a real upgrade you want to move above the SR range and go to the RS as a minimum. My guess is that if you can justify the money get the 325is, if you can't get the 80is and be happy that they are cracking headphones.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Idc. Good review. I was looking at getting these 271 mk2's but now I may go for the K44's. Already have the PX200 but I prefer the Sennheiser EH 150's which I think are a bargain. Not tried the Grado cans but only use closed cans. Cheers.

idc

Hi Blackdawn, no and the main ebay dealer is only a few miles away from me. For similar money, I went for vintage headphones instead of lots of modern ones.

I am sure there has been some 'burn in' with the K271s headphones as the soundstage and stereo imaging has improved slightly.

trebor

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I may go for the K44's now! Are the ear pads as roomy as the K271 and are they interchangeable? Also, what length is the cable?

A

Anonymous

What about the K511? Has anyone heard them?

Thanks.
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts