Airfoil for Mac: BBC Radio 320kbps streams from Mac to Hifi

iMark

Sometimes you get the best features when you pay for software. I recently upgraded an old version of Airfoil to the current one, https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/. The developers have stopped Airfoil for Windows in 2019.

One of the really useful features of Airfoil for Mac is that you can stream any sound from your Mac to any Airplay receiver. In our case I stream the sound of a page in Safari to our Yamaha network receiver. When I use NordVPN and set it to Great Britain I can then access the wonderful sound of any BBC Radio station in 320kbps. You can even use your iPhone or iPad as a remote control for your Mac when you install an app.

The 320kbps streams are the best quality audio I've ever heard from BBC Radio. Why would anyone listen to crappy DAB?

Here's a picture of what the controls on the Mac looks like:
Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 11.22.06.png
Airfoil for Mac is great software and is really useful if you have a Mac and one or more Airplay receivers.

Last edited:

Karsch

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
Airfoil is a great application that seems to get little attention by reviewers. As iMark mentioned here, it streams to Airplay, but also to Chromecast. I stream Tidal to my computer speakers upstairs, Sonos speakers in the kitchen, TV and stereo in the living room and another Sonos speaker in my basement shop. Wherever you have WiFi, and a receiver, you can stream with Airfoil.

Their free iOS app is called "Satellite," and you can control the volume for each receiver from your phone or pad, and you can select your streaming source.

Airfoil includes a customizable 10-band equalizer that I use for squeezing the best sound possible out of the little Sonos One.

I have no connection with Rogue Amoeba other than as a satisfied customer.

TRENDING THREADS