AIAIAI TMA-2 Young Guru/DJ Modular Stereo Headphone review

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's a brand new item that's sure to be a hit - a fully modular headphone (i.e., design your own). My two configurations were very similar - a DJ orientation that has the spectrum tilted substantially toward the right (i.e. more bass, less treble). Unlike many such headphones, this one clearly resolves the 16 hz organ pedal tone so well that you can hear/feel the 16 cycle per second 'beats' that make up analog tones. The highs, despite the right-facing signature, are well resolved too - highly recommended for DJ-type sound, and for building other configurations with differing types of sound. BTW, the response in my testing (without any EQ or tone controls) was ultra-smooth.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4231

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I guess I was aware vaguely of the other choices when I specified what I'd like to review, and now I realize that the 2 variations I selected are pretty similar. So it looks like I may get some of the more mainstream assemblies to go with the DJ-style items I have now. Build is good, sound amazingly smooth, it looks durable, plain matte black finish for the most part, but those red cables, and the little red cables connecting to the earcups/drivers, are real attention-getters.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well there are 4 presets. The All Round which is an everyday headphone, the DJ, the Studio and the Young Guru. Each is different.

But for instance you can buy the entry level driver or you can choose between the vented titanium driver for punchy bass, a fully sealed titanium driver for smoothness and warmth or a neodymium magnet driver for detail.

They all have a 3 year warranty too.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Well there are 4 presets. The All Round which is an everyday headphone, the DJ, the Studio and the Young Guru. Each is different.

But for instance you can buy the entry level driver or you can choose between the vented titanium driver for punchy bass, a fully sealed titanium driver for smoothness and warmth or a neodymium magnet driver for detail.

They all have a 3 year warranty too.

I have 2 of those, and I hope to have the other 2 in my greedy little fingers very soon!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Why would you buy another Dale especially the cheapest model when you already have the more expensive ones?

*wishes Dale was in the UK ;)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Why would you buy another Dale especially the cheapest model when you already have the more expensive ones?

*wishes Dale was in the UK ;)

Ooh - sorry - I may have forgotten to mention in the text review - I said in the video that these came direct from the mfr. - somewhere in Europe, by DHL. I've gotten a handful of headphones direct from manufacturers or distributors, and I don't always say that explicitly because they aren't actually compensation - compensation would be about 20x the cost of the headphone, and if I could get half that I'd quit my day-job.

I may get the other drivers, but I don't have any assurances of that.

burtdude

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Is this a private conversation or can anyone join in? :)

Looking forward to getting my hands on a modular set of hedaphones. Presets seem to have landed, just waiting for the modular options.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can't wait to get my hands on some Dale. They are due imminently into the UK, any day now.

There looks to be a choice of 4 different speaker units, 3 headbands, 6 cables and 5 sets of earpads. Basically something for everyone. If you want you can build it so that you have a pair for DJing and then buy a second set of speaker units for home audiophile listening or suchlike.

Amazing. I absolutely love AIAIAI headphones as you well know.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
burtdude said:
Is this a private conversation or can anyone join in? :)

Looking forward to getting my hands on a modular set of hedaphones. Presets seem to have landed, just waiting for the modular options.

You can join in burtdude :)

Yep, just presets at the moment. More info soon on the modular parts. Cracking stuff though, the most innovative thing to happen to headphones for a long while I reckon, and a brand that I really like a lot. There are some really good headphones out there and AIAIAI, in my view, deserve definite consideration especially if you want crisp, tight, punchy tunes. I'd go so far as to say they are the best at what they do and the market they want. If your main listening is dance music, R&B, techno, hip-hop etc. then they really take some beating. And none too shabby with something like Fleetwood Mac either.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting products. Kind of surprised that nobody has done the modular thing before. Great idea. Wonder whether I can find somewhere to have a play with some. This brand has interested me for a while but I've never heard any of their products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't think you will be disappointed ID. Whilst not audiophile so to speak, they are built beautifully and produce great sound. I guess that's why many top DJs use them (without being paid like certain other footballer brands).

TRENDING THREADS