Again this question in whathifi : Tannoy or monitor audio BR2 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello experts ! 

As i'm waiting for my Fatman 182 valve amplifier to arrived, i'm really confused on what speakers I should get with.. and at what price !! Because I'm really on budget and here in France, prices are really more expensive..

I was thinking at first at Tannoy F1 that I can get at 150 euros (143 £) but as I am as much a big fan of classic or jazz as I am a big fan or Rock or Hip-Hop, I am a little scared that those speakers won't have enough bass to follow.. And I heard BR2 due to its size was not bad for this. But I can get them only at 320 £ ( 335 €) (which is kind of out of my budget). So does it worth that money or Tannoy can follow enough ?

I'm really looking after your comments (as I'm still waiting for my new credit card to come to make my decision..)

Thanks !

PS: Sorry for my english ! 

A

Anonymous

Should I also consider the Eltax monitor III (95£) ? or are they simply out of rank ?

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Amazon are currently selling F1's for £73, but they are a couple of divisions lower than the BR2's to be fair, great little budget speakers but the bass wont rock your world, especially in a larger room.

A

Anonymous

Where abouts do you live? If you live in Spain or Portugal, I know exactly where you can get a pair of Monitor Audios for a much cheaper price!

As for your English, don't appologise, it's perfect apart from use "is it" instead of "does it".
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Really thank you for your answers !

So I'm going to look after some BR2s, I'm not in Spain or Portugal but in France (does that work ?).. There are none of those on amazon.fr and those I found on amazon.co.uk can't be shipped to France. I did not check on ebay though !

ÿ(I really enjoyed the help from this forum ;) )ÿ

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Yep, defo go for the BR2s - I had the tannoys in my bedroom system and wasn't totally satisfied - I tried the BR2s and ended up changing to them - they are much much better.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

There are many good speakers manufactured here in France which might be worth a listen, too. Apart from the Focal range there are also Triangle (the comete gets good reviews) and Cabasse.

Shops like Magma, Illel and Cobrason all have good ranges, websites, and will deliver. Definitely worth a look, too, is FNAC.

However, you'd be better off waiting for the French mid-january sales to start, you'll find plenty of bargains.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your comments !

And Tarquinh, I've looked around those sites but my main issue is that I can not find any reviews for all those french speakers, I don't know what I'm doing wrong searching on the web and google but all I can find is 3 000 ? speakers review.. Do you know any websites reviewing those ?

ÿBut that's true that I definitly will wait for those sales !

ÿ

Thanks again !ÿ

A

Anonymous

That's a good point. There are quite a few magazines in the shops, but I couldn't find much on the web either. Stereophile has some reviews of the Triangle range, while audio.de and stereoplay.de cover Focal and Canton plus lots of others. They're in German, but there's always Babel Fish. Homecinema.fr covers a fair amount in their forums.

By the way, I forgot to mention Elac. They make some lovely speakers, the BS 203s in particular, and are readily available here. A bit pricey however. Also, I noticed one german retailer is doing Dynaudio Audience 42s for 400? the pair and he sends internationally.

Enjoy the sales!

P.S. There's always the French edition of Whathifi, but don't know if it covers anything other than what is in the English version.

A

Anonymous

Hi TiH,

I've just read your post and I'd like to know the choice you finally made regarding your loudspeakers ?

I'm quite in the same situation as you since i'm currently looking for new bookshelfts to replace my good-olds JBL LX-300 (R.I.P - foam suspensions detroyed). It's quite interesting to notice that both MA BR2 and Tannoy F1 are also in my short list (with also the Kef IQ1 -significantly more expensive- and Focal 705V -cheaper but a bit less attractives IMO- ).

You're right it's hard to find here in France the BR2 at an attractive price (In fact it's hard to simply find the BR2) and it's really a pitty. So please let me know please what your final choice is ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Son-video have them. If you're based in Paris, Illel do Q-Acoustics at good prices if you go into the shops. But, given the strength of the euro against the pound, why not buy speakers next time you're in the UK?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Tarquinh

I'm from Grenoble (french Alps/fresh snow :) and i've found a local dealer to hear these BR2 so-called budget-jewels (they'll arrive at the end of January). But due to limited diffusion it will probably be a hard stuff to negociate the price (best offer right now is 20% off from Illel but with unknown shipment costs). This means +/- 300?/pair at least.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts