Affordable speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mls

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have an ancient set-up (JVC AS-5 Mission 700) and considering getting back into some low end modern kit. Thinking about 2020i and maybe a denon 520 amp. I have ripped my CDs using an old laptop running vortexbox so also plan to get a cheap usb DAC. I wonder if I'm missing something and should instead go for some sort of streaming or optical input amp? Any thoughts as to whether the basic system will meet my needs? I have also seen that RS have Marantz PM5004 at a reasonable price, does anyone thing that would be a better match for my needs and the 2020s than the denon? Any advice gratefully received! Martin

matthewpiano

opium said:
hi thanks

how about 2020i vs lektor 2, overall and bass department in particular?

Close-run thing that. It is some time since I had Lektor 2s but they were very musical and involving speakers, on the warm side like the Qs but perhaps a smidge less open than the 2020i. Not much in it though if my memory of the Lektors is right. Availability is the achilles heel of the Lektors now - hardly anyone appears to list them. I believe Dali are launching some Zensor 3s so perhaps the Lektor range is on the way out...

Been using the Qs for a couple of weeks now and I still love them. Brilliant speakers. The fact that they happen to be so affordable is a great bonus.

geno.box

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm aware this thread is a bit old, but it seems to be a good place to try my question;

Can those who has the 2020i with stands explain what difference the stands make to the sound?

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
geno.box said:
Hi,

I'm aware this thread is a bit old, but it seems to be a good place to try my question;

Can those who has the 2020i with stands explain what difference the stands make to the sound?

Thanks

Compared to what?

Other stands? No stands? Speakers on the floor? Etc, etc.

geno.box

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
geno.box said:
Hi,

Thanks

Compared to what?

Other stands? No stands? Speakers on the floor? Etc, etc.

I'm sorry; compared to no stands

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess it will depend on whether you have them currently on the floor or at the correct height. For example, ideally with most speakers you would want the drivers producing the sound to be roughly at ear level. Most suggest getting the tweeter at ear level when your listening. You would ideally want to leave some space behind the speakers to the wall, especially if they are rear ported. Most aspects of the sound are improved for standmounts/bookshelf speakers when using stands. Filling them also helps - more secure & better sound. A worth while investment. Anyway, this is what I've found in the past. Hope it helps.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Any small decent modern speaker (unless specifically designed otherwise) will be at its best on a purpose built stand that places it clear of the room boundaries with the tweeter at around ear level when in the normal listening position.

The speaker stands should be of rigid construction, spiked to the floor so they do not move, leveled and with the speaker attached to the top plate with Bluetack if no other fixing is supplied. The speakers may or may not respond to mass loading the stands, some speakers sound better on stands that are light and rigid.

This is the 'correct' way to mount speakers such as your 2020i, though of course you can do as you please. Just be aware that the more compromises you make, the further you move from these ideals, the less capable the speakers and therefore the system will become. The differences are not subtle.

TRENDING THREADS