Affordable speakers

matthewpiano

Had a look and listen to a few affordable speakers today and thought it might be useful to share my brief observations for each one. Heard them all on the end of a Denon PMA720AE amp as this is what I am familiar with.

Monitor Audio BX2 - Wide, spacious sound with lots of detail but lacking body overall. As I experienced when I owned a pair, they tend towards being a bit soul-less and I don't feel I want to carry on listening for any extended period. Beautifully made. £249. 4 out of 5.

Wharfedale Diamond 121 - Full, slightly warm sound with more presence and body than the BX2s. Narrower sound-stage but more keenly focused and with very good detail levels. Really nice sounding speakers, completely let down by fit and finish. The black vinyl surface is cheap looking as is the black plastic front panel, and the vinyl covering didn't meet properly at corners. I've long had concerns about Wharfedale's finish quality, being the owner of Diamond 9.1s and Diamond 10.3s, and things don't seem to be improving at all. Not really acceptable when other brands can get it right. £229. 4 out of 5. (If they could get the finish sorted, 5 out of 5)

Dali Zensor 1 - I've owned a pair of these and, as then, today I found them to be very communicative and detailed if slightly lacking in warmth. They control the soundstage well and are both explicit and refinded in the treble. Nicely finished too. £199. 4 out of 5.

Q Acoustics 2020i - Small but deep cabinets, pleasant looking but fairly unassuming, though nicely finished for the asking price. Warmer than the Zensor 1s and BX2s but more open sounding than the Wharfedales. Really immsersive and involving to listen to with a huge amount of detail nicely presented rather than thrown forward. Have the special quality of making you want to carry on listening. Impressive little speakers. 5 out of 5.

To sum up, all four are very talented speakers and each could make a great buy if partnered with the right amp. The biggest disappointment is the finish on the Diamond 121. They are clearly superb speakers but even at this end of the market it should be possible to make them look and feel better. In terms of sound per pound, it is the Q 2020i which take the crown for me - super speakers, performing beyond their price.

Interesting, thanks Matthew.

I know you say the Wharfedale finish is below par but do they differ a lot sonically from your Diamond 9.1s?

Understand about the MAs being a little souless. The RS6s can sound a tad detached, although in isolation it's negligible.

Heard the Q Acoustics with Marantz 603 and the clarity was impressive. Bit like older Wharfedales they seem to be the Swiss Army Knife of hi-fi.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Matthewpiano, much like plastic penguin, I too am interested in how your 9.1s fare against the others. I still have a pair of Anniversary edition (real veneer) and love them to bits, truly brilliant little speaker. I also got Jade 5s recently, and Jade C1, all in piano black, and happy to report that fit and finish on all of them is impeccable, Jades in particular.

I am actually thinking of bagging another pair of 9.1s from Superfi for 100 quid while they still have some in stock (for "spare parts" :)) .

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
ive just bought a pair of 9.1 just to see me through till i make my mind up what nice standmounters i want but i am so impressed with these i cant believe the sound that comes out of these small boxes.warmth detail imaging all great for my needs.just grab some at this price £100 before there all gone

matthewpiano

My 9.1s have really suffered in terms of the finish coming away and look a bit scruffy now, hence the desire to get something else. The 9.1s remain a great sounding speaker, but I do find that compared to some of the newer competitors (including the new Diamond 121s) the sound can lack a bit of solidity and coherence. For me, both the Q 2020i and the Diamond 121 sound more complete and more 'together' than the Diamond 9.1s. The 121s combine the excellent detail and better bass of the Diamond 10.1s with some of the naturalness that the 9.1s were so good at. In many ways they offer a great balance of the best qualities of the 9.1s and 10.1s.

The Qs are fantastic value, though, and they certainly didn't sound anything like the cheapest of the group. To answer your question Chebby, the 2020is are hooked up to my system as I type (walnut finish). It makes the system very much source first, with the CD player and turntable being by far the most expensive items, but it works really well. PP mentioned older Wharfedales, and one of the really attractive things about the Qs is that they pull off that trick of sounding somehow 'right', pulling you into the music and making you want to keep listening, just as the best of the older Wharfedales always did. With the 2020i being this good, I'd love to hear what the Concept 20s can do but, for now, finances don't allow that outlay and on the experience up to now, I feel I'm really going to enjoy my music with the 2020i.

T

the record spot

How do you feel they compare to the Mission 751 Matthew?

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
How do you feel they compare to the Mission 751 Matthew?

The 751s are more explicitly detailed but the Qs are easier to listen to and somehow more engaging. The Qs seem to put the music first, whereas the 751s are very hi-fi to my ears. Both are excellent speakers. Again, my 751s were bought used and are cosmetically a bit scruffy so not ideal for the main living space.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
With the 2020i being this good, I'd love to hear what the Concept 20s can do

Hi, nice reviews for those speakers you mentioned. Hope you enjoy the 2020i's. I was wondering what you think of the power of the bass of the Q's and if you can perceive a difference in the lower bass extension compared to some of the other models you described above? What are the Q's like with rock/blues, for instance?

As for the concept 20's - they are fairly expensive considering the stands. I'd be interested to compare some floorstanders with better bass extension for the price. e.g. Mission MX5, Boston Acoustics A360, Q Acoustics 2050i etc

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
My 9.1s have really suffered in terms of the finish coming away and look a bit scruffy now, hence the desire to get something else. The 9.1s remain a great sounding speaker, but I do find that compared to some of the newer competitors (including the new Diamond 121s) the sound can lack a bit of solidity and coherence. For me, both the Q 2020i and the Diamond 121 sound more complete and more 'together' than the Diamond 9.1s. The 121s combine the excellent detail and better bass of the Diamond 10.1s with some of the naturalness that the 9.1s were so good at. In many ways they offer a great balance of the best qualities of the 9.1s and 10.1s.

Excellent, thanks mp.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Matthewpiano

I should be getting some money soon and will buy the Marantz MCR603

I was going to get the Dali Zensor 1's with it all for around £450

I know we all have slightly different tastes and hear things slightly differently, so comparing the Dali Zensor 1's with the Q Aqcoustics 2020i would you say they are about the same sound wise going on from your review above

I currently have the Denon DM37 with there given Denon Speakers which I find a little bass heavy and boomy, so I should notice a good noticeable improvement would you think with the MCR603 and Dali Zensor 1's, thanks

matthewpiano

Snooker said:
Matthewpiano

I should be getting some money soon and will buy the Marantz MCR603

I was going to get the Dali Zensor 1's with it all for around £450

I know we all have slightly different tastes and hear things slightly differently, so comparing the Dali Zensor 1's with the Q Aqcoustics 2020i would you say they are about the same sound wise going on from your review above

I currently have the Denon DM37 with there given Denon Speakers which I find a little bass heavy and boomy, so I should notice a good noticeable improvement would you think with the MCR603 and Dali Zensor 1's, thanks

Hi Snooker.

I think that will work very well. The Zensor 1s and the 2020i are both excellent value. Worth auditioning, as the Zensors will veer slightly towards being light in the bass, especially if you are used to the Denon package which, I agree, can sound a bit on the boomy side. The Zensors are tight and rhythmic sounding with a very open soundstage, which should suit the slightly smooth sound of the Marantz very nicely.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
A few months ago my young sister bought a new tv and seeing as the Onkyo 308 (if memory serves) was on sale at Richer Sounds for around the £150.00 at the time... I suggested that she got this as well given that both she and her new husband liked the movies as well as music.

(before anyone asks, nope she and he are and were not loaded)

I noticed a pair of stereo speakers for a decent price again in Richer's and for the life of me I cannot remmenber which now, anyway suffice to say I went along to Richer Sounds to buy said speakers (name I cannot now remember, sigh) and during a conversation with one of the salesmen he offered me the Q Acoustics 2020i for the same amount of money and he said as to how good they were... so I bought them. :clap:

Oh, both of them love them :0

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
The 751s are more explicitly detailed but the Qs are easier to listen to and somehow more engaging. The Qs seem to put the music first, whereas the 751s are very hi-fi to my ears. Both are excellent speakers. Again, my 751s were bought used and are cosmetically a bit scruffy so not ideal for the main living space.

Thanks MP - depends on the partnering equipment I guess. I'd never have described the 751s as "hi fi" sounding though. One of the most musical speakers I've heard. Detailed yes. Perhaps their abilities to pick out the detail in the music against the softer sounding Qs are a question of preference for people in the end. Thanks anyway, interesting feedback.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My one experience of the Q2020i speakers was in Richer Sounds, Liverpool, a few weeks ago. I was walking through an empty demo room with Phil, the store manager, to retrieve my ex-demo Arcam A-18 from the shop window. In the room they had a pair of large floorstanders set up together with a much smaller pair of speakers. Something off 'Tango in the night' was playing fairly quietly in the background. I remarked to Phil, "Those floorstanders sound good. What are they?" He gave me a look. "They're the Q2020s." He replied. :wall:

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:

Thanks MP - depends on the partnering equipment I guess. I'd never have described the 751s as "hi fi" sounding though. One of the most musical speakers I've heard. Detailed yes. Perhaps their abilities to pick out the detail in the music against the softer sounding Qs are a question of preference for people in the end. Thanks anyway, interesting feedback.

Hi RS. I'm not saying the 751s aren't musical - they most definitely are. There is, however, something more engrossing and involving about the Qs that works well with my particular system and in my particular room.

Hope you are well and still enjoying your Tannoys.
smiley-smile.gif

matthewpiano

cse said:
Why didn't you wait a little longer and move up a price bracket or two?

I had been using B&W 685s for a while and, excellent though they are, I found them tiring over long listening sessions - that detached treble WHFS&V refer to in their latest review. I sold them. Current finances aren't going to allow a big step up for some time and it would take a lot of listening and auditioning to convince me to part with bigger money. I wanted something I could really enjoy listening to and which would work well with the Denon. To be honest, listening to music last night, I didn't feel like I was missing anything. The Qs sound much bigger than they are, lay tremendous amounts of detail out without shoving it down your ears, and really create an involving sense of atmosphere. I'm finding them far more enjoyable than the 685s or Q300s which have both had periods in my room in recent months. That isn't to say they are BETTER than those speakers, but there is something innately right about the sound that suits me and my room/system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts