AE109...ahhh

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
my very first floorstanders, sold them many years ago BIG mistake, spotted some in local buy and sell, thats it , had to get them

a bit scruffy round the edges, but the cones are in exellent shape, and what a sound, just as good as I remember 20 years ago, lovely midrange, unfatiging treble and fat bass,just so listenable, all for a vinyl vintage sytem I have set up using my SL1300 turntable. well the yamaha as500 is hardly vintage , but it really gels with the AE's

have speakers really got better :roll:

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I think the majority of people who heard the 109's would agree with you Johnno, the funny thing being that they were never a particularly neutral or "flat" response speaker. Despite this they were one of the most popular models we ever made with reviewers and public alike. The tweeters were cheap, the cabs were good and the mid-bass drivers our own paper cones which broke up earlier than our metal ones but did so relatively smoothly.

Sometimes the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts (and the reverse can also be true!). :)

atkrhome

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I had a pair a while back, I know back in the day they were well reviewed, but, I was shocked at how good they sounded, as a second hand buy they are great

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
AEJim said:
I think the majority of people who heard the 109's would agree with you Johnno, the funny thing being that they were never a particularly neutral or "flat" response speaker. Despite this they were one of the most popular models we ever made with reviewers and public alike. The tweeters were cheap, the cabs were good and the mid-bass drivers our own paper cones which broke up earlier than our metal ones but did so relatively smoothly.

Sometimes the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts (and the reverse can also be true!). :)

i suppose that damped solid cabinet is what makes them, the tweeters dont really look or sound cheap ! , they are devoid of that metallic sibilance to my ears, but can sound sharp when needed, I must say I have owned the evo3 with the metal cones, although good speakers , the 109 were the better sounding and better built ones , in my opinion,,, HIFI choice liked them as well, but called them a bit rich and dark and low volumes, could be a good thing with todays bright digital stuff , my arms ache now after carring them and i am no weakling myself lol

AEjim, whats the purpose of the A frame thing over the tweeters of these, dont see them on other speakers

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
AEjim, whats the purpose of the A frame thing over the tweeters of these, dont see them on other speakers

It's just for protection, it will have a small effect on direct measurements but as in many cases will have next to no effect on the overall sound. There were some Boston speakers that were designed by AE's original designer which used similar looking bars over the drive units as tuning devices oddly enough! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts