AE1 & Node or LS50 Wireless 2

fatphones

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking at my first top notch hifi purchase and after some opinions on the 2 options I've been looking at;

1. AE1 Active paired with the new Node - £1350

2. LS50 Wireless 2 - £2350

I will only be streaming, no CD collection or vinyl. I'm coming from a Sonos One, the bar is low! I will want lossless CD quality music. My music taste is varied. Mostly folk, classical, rock and the odd smidgen of House.

If the speakers can help with TV / Projector use then thats a bonus. If I get the AE1, I can afford a decent enough HD projector and screen.

My room is 6x5m, but opens up to the dining room and hall via 2.5 m wide openings. The speakers will eventually move into a standard terrace 5x4m front room which opens to same size diner. Ive narrowed it down to these 2 speakers due to their size, reviews and....looks. I've read nothing but gleaming reviews about both speakers, but is the difference in performance of the 2 systems likely to be £1k worth and will I notice it?

Keen to hear all opinions, I've had a bunch of advice from another place and appreciate those taking their own time to reply.

All the best

Tinman1952

Hi all,

Looking at my first top notch hifi purchase and after some opinions on the 2 options I've been looking at;

1. AE1 Active paired with the new Node - £1350

2. LS50 Wireless 2 - £2350

I will only be streaming, no CD collection or vinyl. I'm coming from a Sonos One, the bar is low! I will want lossless CD quality music. My music taste is varied. Mostly folk, classical, rock and the odd smidgen of House.

If the speakers can help with TV / Projector use then thats a bonus. If I get the AE1, I can afford a decent enough HD projector and screen.

My room is 6x5m, but opens up to the dining room and hall via 2.5 m wide openings. The speakers will eventually move into a standard terrace 5x4m front room which opens to same size diner. Ive narrowed it down to these 2 speakers due to their size, reviews and....looks. I've read nothing but gleaming reviews about both speakers, but is the difference in performance of the 2 systems likely to be £1k worth and will I notice it?

Keen to hear all opinions, I've had a bunch of advice from another place and appreciate those taking their own time to reply.

All the best
Definitely option one!
The Node is way more flexible and has an excellent DAC and possibly the best streaming platform. The AE1s are excellent active speakers and I doubt you would hear any improvement with the LS50 wireless. Save a £1,000 because you will not hear a difference. 🙂

TheJoker

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Best to try both in your room, TBH i think the AE will struggle to fill your room, the Kef's would be the better speaker IMO. My LS50W2's replaced a 10k separates system and i love them. get yourself a good dealer who will be able to demonstrate both of them to you and go from there. (y)

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You will always get a one sided reply here. Not much love for the Kef Wireless.

I have the 2's and they are fantastic (and of course I am biased). Great power and dynamics but subtle too. Around 300 watts/speaker.

When I listened to the AE1 Actives they sounded somewhat bright. They seemed to struggle at not that much volume in a medium sized room. Perhaps not surprising with 50watts to the bass mid driver. They look very nice, especially in the wood finish. Probably a good option for a small room, lower volume. - Perhaps they will do a higher powered version in the future?

One option you have not mentioned is a pair of Kef Wireless 1's. They should come in roughly at the same cost as your option 1. Very good too.

Last edited:

fatphones

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking at demoing both next week.
I don't play music very loud, but its on, all day every day! The power is one thing I'm completely clueless about. As the openings in the room are massive and lead out to other med size rooms, my worry is that neither will be enough, but getting big speakers is a complete no no. They have to be good looking and not dominate the room, conditions of the budget given to me by the boss!

Ultimately I'll test and decide from there, but I'd be hoping for a significant difference for the extra 1k, which could be spent on a projector. But but but, the priority is hifi!

Reactions: Tinman1952

fatphones

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
One option you have not mentioned is a pair of Kef Wireless 1's. They should come in roughly at the same cost as your option 1. Very good too.

I was put off by these due to the apparently crap app? The system needs to work for those less interested in messing around and as simple as Sonos, the wife will quickly lose interest!

Reactions: Tinman1952

fatphones

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Best to try both in your room, TBH i think the AE will struggle to fill your room, the Kef's would be the better speaker IMO. My LS50W2's replaced a 10k separates system and i love them. get yourself a good dealer who will be able to demonstrate both of them to you and go from there. (y)

Unable to try in my house, sadly.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I was put off by these due to the apparently crap app? The system needs to work for those less interested in messing around and as simple as Sonos, the wife will quickly lose interest!

I can't tell you about the Mk1 app but both are regularly updated. The issue with apps is that an individuals network and settings can contribute to issues too so what may look like a complaint about an app is in fact something else.

The power is one thing I'm completely clueless about. As the openings in the room are massive and lead out to other med size rooms, my worry is that neither will be enough, but getting big speakers is a complete no no. They have to be good looking and not dominate the room, conditions of the budget given to me by the boss!

Another option for active speakers with streaming capabilities and ones that I’ve been impressed by are Devialet’s Phantom series of speakers. Devialet’s Phantom II 95 DB Stereo or the Phantom II 98 DB Stereo or if budget allows Phantom II 98 DB OPÊRA DE PARIS Stereo.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I’m a very happy owner of the AE1a (which I combine with a small sub) - the sound is superb.

If I was starting from scratch, I’d definitely be considering these Hedd type 7s - great review from Darko 👍

daytona600

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts