Advise on a new micro

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
It will be used for our bedroom with Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers, along with FM and a cd player it MUST have dab and a dimmer for the display as I listern while getting to sleep so the Onkyo is no good as the display is to bright and no way to dim it, my budget is fairly unlimited anything up to £500. Thanks for any help.

A

Anonymous

Arcam Solo Mini - £650 though - not sure if the display can be dimmed, but would imagine so.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Didn't we decide that the Onkyo *does* dim, if you hold in the power button for two seconds? Andy Clough mentioned this, and he has one.[/quote]

Its very confusing this is the email I have from Onkyo themselves

Hello Mr ******, ONKYO forwarded your e-mail to us - we are their UK Technical, Repairs and Spares partner. Unfortunately, we are not aware of a way to dim or switch off the display on either model (515 / 715). We've also checked the Instruction Manuals and can't see anything relevant. You can, though, select various different display options to show different data on the display if this helps.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
sorry this is probably a statement of the obvious but manufacturers often miss features in their instruction booklets (or give instructions wrongly). I bought the radio i did (no good for your needs im afraid) for a specific function, after checking with all n sundry that itd perform this function. upon reading the instructions it said it wouldnt do it. sure enough tho, it did. so, you never know til you try i guess. but andy has one, as has been said already.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Didn't we decide that the Onkyo *does* dim, if you hold in the power button for two seconds? Andy Clough mentioned this, and he has one.[/quote]

I tried this on my CR-715DAB and all it does is put the system into standby!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="slamber"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Didn't we decide that the Onkyo *does* dim, if you hold in the power button for two seconds? Andy Clough mentioned this, and he has one.[/quote]

I tried this on my CR-715DAB and all it does is put the system into standby![/quote]

Just did it on my Onkyo 515 and it worked fine. Press the power button to switch the unit on, switch it off again and continue holding the power button down for several seconds and hey presto the display will switch off.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andy Clough"]
[quote user="slamber"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Didn't we decide that the Onkyo *does* dim, if you hold in the power button for two seconds? Andy Clough mentioned this, and he has one.[/quote]

I tried this on my CR-715DAB and all it does is put the system into standby![/quote]

Just did it on my Onkyo 515 and it worked fine. Press the power button to switch the unit on, switch it off again and continue holding the power button down for several seconds and hey presto the display will switch off.
[/quote]

Well tried it in the hi-fi shop on both the 515 and 715 and all it does is put the system into standby and if you keep it pressed longer it does switch the display off but it also turns the unit off completely off as well no good at all.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]...And for those of you with displays you need to dim...
A piece of nce thick paper/cardboard in the colour you desire, and a piece or two of blu-tak... fantastic. Why compromise on the unit because of nonsense like a bright display?[/quote]

The unit will be used in a bedroom and as I have slight tinitus I listern to the radio etc while getting to sleep a bright display will light up the whole room and stop us sleeping all the other micros I have looked at (even those less than half the price) dim or even switch the display off all together as many of these small hi-fi's are used in the bedroom a dimmer is not to much to ask for, as for putting a piece of card in front with blue tack no thanks light will still escape and why should I spend £300 plus to have to cover the item every night because of a cr** design.

TRENDING THREADS