Advise on a Home Mix turntable

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
My brother has a Home-Mix turntable with a 14 year old Stanton 500 cartridge . He doesn't really understand the technacalities of hifi as he is autistic but when I had a look, the headshell still tilts from side to side on it's axis with the locking ring fully tightened. There are 2 small screws underneath so I am assuming these could be loose?

Anyway, I just need some advice if this model is worth investing in a new cart and setting up (which I can just about do) as he only plays old 80's singles and 12" 45's.

Thanks.

HomeMix.jpg

marb67 said:
My brother has a Home-Mix turntable with a 14 year old Stanton 500 cartridge . He doesn't really understand the technacalities of hifi as he is autistic but when I had a look, the headshell still tilts from side to side on it's axis with the locking ring fully tightened. There are 2 small screws underneath so I am assuming these could be loose?

Anyway, I just need some advice if this model is worth investing in a new cart and setting up (which I can just about do) as he only plays old 80's singles and 12" 45's.

Thanks.

I would say no if you were going to go out and buy the turntable but as you already have it then it's worth a try isn't it? You are going to have to buy a new cartridge someday.

marb67 said:
We have a budget of no more than £100 to replace this. What would be the best we could get ?

Very tricky to advise with that budget. If original is not repairable, i.e. replacing the forearm alone, then you'd have to resort to eBay but you are unlikely to find anything reasonably useable with a decent cartridge.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It was just to point out that there are stacks of decent(ish) Japanese built, direct-drive turntables out there for £100 or less ('Buy it now' included) so long as you steer away from the 'usual suspects'.

You just have to look.

I've been looking for the last 30 minutes and there are plenty and it's fun. Too many too post here. (Not your researcher, sorry.)

Ok, one more ...

clicky

chebby said:
It was just to point out that there are stacks of decent(ish) Japanese built, direct-drive turntables out there for £100 or less ('Buy it now' included) so long as you steer away from the 'usual suspects'.

You just have to look.

I've been looking for the last 30 minutes and there are plenty and it's fun. Too many too post here. (Not your researcher, sorry.)

I think it's always good to see what's going and for that budget it's quite illuminating, just hope they have a better cartridge fitted than that 14 year old Stanton he mentions. ;-)

Mind you many of those listed I have no idea as to their desirability so makes it difficult to advise OP as to which is best.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
It's a Christmas present so has to be brand new. What about this ? or would it be better to get a new tone arm for the Home Mix ?http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/sony/pslx300/sony-pslx300

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
marb67 said:
It's a Christmas present so has to be brand new. What about this ? or would it be better to get a new tone arm for the Home Mix ?http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/sony/pslx300/sony-pslx300

If the budget is £100 (or very near) and it has to be brand-new* then yes, get whatever you like. At £100 it'll not make much difference what [brand-new] deck you get.

*Presumably to get the receipt, so the recipient can get a refund and buy something else.

marb67 said:

As chebby says just about any at this price point would do but be careful how the one you mention is connected to an amplifier as it already has a built-in phono preamp. However, not sure exactly what the old turntable was connected to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts