Advice Required - Tannoy V4 or Q Acoustics 2050

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently own some mission 773e floor standees, powered by NAD 319 amp, other bits are NAD C520 cd player, Qed uplay & Cambridge audio iPod dock.

I am thinking about buying some new floor standers and came across the QAcoustics & Tannoys both for £250

What are your thoughts, is it worthwhile replacing the missions with either of these and if so which ones.

I have varied musical taste; some classical - mostly the famous stuff, like the planets, Beethoven, mozart...etc

Rock: U2, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Bob Seger

Then also Adele, the xx, example, house and r&b

But no jazz.

Room size is quite big 23' x 17'

Thoughts

A

Anonymous

Take one of your Missions to have a demo. The shops like RS have mono cd's and can alter the balance to let you hear the Missions against any rival. I did it with my 751's and came away with the Tannoy mercury V's and am really pleased. A bargain at the price and they certainly fill the room with sound...good job we are detached. They have the clarity of the 751's at the top end and add a really good bass that the Missions could never match. (much more so that some MX3's I also listened to whilst at the demo.) I found no pressure to buy from the sales staff, they just wanted me to be happy with the choice, so take some of your own music along and give it a go. Ring before you turn up to book a slot in the demo room. They are very accommodating.

A

Anonymous

I originally bought the 773's from richer....fortunately back then I literally lived around the corner. A fuller bass is what I am looking for as that is what the missions lack. The impact

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
BS, what's your setup size, ie how far are the speakers from the rear wall, how far apart and how far back do you sit? I'm seriously tempted by some of these at the price

A

Anonymous

Speakers approx 10' apart, distance from wall at rear approx 1', and it is a window not solid wall.

Seating is 12' from speakers

A

Anonymous

Speakers 2m apart and 17cm from rear wall. Listening 2.5-3m away. The small gap to the rear wall works fine. The mix of music that we listen to from my 23 yr olds latest radio 1 stuff to the older generation (me) Aerosmith/Bon Jovi-ish rock/Enya/70's classics Mud/T-Rex/Ferry...good grief did I really buy this stuff...seemed like a good idea at the time...and I like it, I like it, I like it...oh and Status Quo...sounds brilliant.
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

My lugs say brilliant, clarity at the top, precise soundstage, good bass driving everything...in fact just brilliant. Don't take my word though, do test them for yourself...for all you know I might be tone deaf!

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm seriously out of love with my speakers right now due to lack of warmth, musicality and bass, so unless some sand loading tonight after work improves them tenfold I'm looking elsewhere!

A

Anonymous

Update:

I nipped to my local RicherSounds on Saturday Morning for a listen to several sets of speakers; unfortunately they didnt have any 2050's in stock. However I did listen to 4 different sets of speakers.

Tannoy Mercury v4

Monitor Audio BX5

MS Aviano 6

MS Aviano 8

I took my Nad 319 amp & Nad 520 CD player along with a few CD's to listen to.

In short - I walked out with the Tannoy's. for the price they are amazing; I just wished the looked a little better.

In not so short; I listen to the speakers in the following order and here are the associated comments

Tannoy's - had the most controlled & crisp bass (which I what my Missions were lacking) - were the most engaging.

Monitor Audio BX5 - Nearly stopped listening to them after the first track on the first CD, but then the warmed up a bit and got better. However not as much bass as the Tannoy's, mid-range very nice and treble a bit tinney. Lovely finish on them though.

MS Aviano 6 - Initially reminded me of my missions but with a bit more bass,. Overall v. good but not as good as the Tannoy's. Didnt quite grab me the same way the tannoy's did.

MS Aviano 8 - better a lower volume levels than higher volume levels. Sales Bloke told me they could get a bit shoutey...I didnt notice this until I turned the volume up beyond quarter to 12. Shame really.

A

Anonymous

:cheers: Good choice, now sit back and enjoy, the speakers looks will grow on you, strip the covers off and listen in the dark, it's amazing what dim light does for looks...say no more! ;)

A

Anonymous

Mine are 14cm from the back wall and 60 cm in from the side wall but that is just so they sit in the space either side of a couch. Push them back towards the rear wall and the bass is not so controlled...a bit boomy. Where they are they sound fine at all volumes ;)

A

Anonymous

Seems fine to me, yes there are better lookers but looks can be deceptive....not all leggy blondes turn out to be nice! My slightly less leggy blonde wife certainly was not offended by the speakers and she IS fussy about how the lounge looks...yes dear I am bringing you a cuppa and no, I am not on that hi fi forum...coming...must dash...see ya

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I'm thinking of selling my Dali Zensors and buy these speakers. I'm going to audition them next week.

Marantz PM6003/CD6004 + Dali Zensor 1

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same boat at the moment, quite like the look of the Tannoy V4s especially at £100 odd less than the Q acoustics at £250 (but the 2050i's not the older 2050s)

Has anyone tried both? I am being drawn to the slightly more expensive 2050i's because some people have doubted Tannoy V4s build quality and the Q Acoustics seem to have a wider "recommended wattage" from an AV receiver.

Also I am looking at the new 2012 Onkyo TX-NR616 to power the first additions to a surround sound system, would appreciate it if someone could also shed some light on whether this would be too powerful for these type of speakers? Or whether Q Acoustics would be better for it?

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Bringing up an old thread now but i just heard the 2050i with the onkyo 616 and WOW! they were amazing! so much loud, powerful and controlled bass. This is a fantastic combinaion from my point of view although i cant afford to get that setup at the moment :(

Q Accoustics with Onkyo 616- FTW! they outperformed the stereo only marantz 6004 and the Yamaha AS500. I thought AV receivers are meant to me crap at producing sound but this receiver blew me away :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts