Advice Please on TV for 4:3 Ratio DVD upscaling

wildwesterner

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I currently have a 42 inch LG TV which I'm looking to replace. I'm keen to upsize to a 48 or 40 inch model and have even managed to persuade my missus this is a good idea.

Clearly a bigger screen will be better for HD TV and Blu Rays of which we watch a lot (assuming a comparably good or better model than I currently have) but there is one issue I am nervous about. That is, we often watch old TV on DVDs (programmes made in 4:3 SD back in the day, such as Only Fools and Horses, Doctor Who, The Darling Buds of May - that sort of thing) and I am worried that the upscaling of such programmes might make them unwatchable.

Models I have been thinking about include the Samsung UE48H6700 and the SOny KDL48W605B.

I'd welcome any advice from anyone who has these or similar models and watches such DVDs still on them. I'm not bothered about 4k or 3d or smart technology that much as have Sky HD and their On Demand service. Also currently play my Blu Rays and DVDs on a Sony BDP790.

Thanks folks

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
wildwesterner said:
Hi, I currently have a 42 inch LG TV which I'm looking to replace. I'm keen to upsize to a 48 or 40 inch model and have even managed to persuade my missus this is a good idea.

Clearly a bigger screen will be better for HD TV and Blu Rays of which we watch a lot (assuming a comparably good or better model than I currently have)

And you carefully don't tell us exactly what model of LG TV you currently have.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello again wildwesterner, I'm not sure of your budget, but have you considered the Samsung H6400 series? I'd also urge you to go for maybe a 55-inch set to give a real sense of size over your existing 42-inch television. The Samsung H6400 series has been universally praised at all sizes (put "Samsung XXH6400 review" into google, replacing XX by 48 and then by 55), the screen uniformity is very good, as are the black levels and, this might be important, the quad-foot stand does allow a generous amount of swivel. The 55-inch model is £860 at John Lewis, including 5-year guarantee.

wildwesterner

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Son of SJ, many thanks for that; certainly in my price range (and am likely to buy from JL as nearest decent stockist) so will have a look. Appreciate the advice, Cheers Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts