Advice please - Improving Stereo Sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some advice. I would like to improve the stereo sound (and multichannel music) from my surround system. Would upgrading my amp make the biggest difference?

I currently have 2x Monitor Audio Radius r270, 225 Monitor Audio Radius, 2x r45, Denon-1905, Denon 2900 & Rel Quake sub.

I am pleased with the movie performance but feel that I could get better sound for music with the speakers I have but not sure how!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ian

A

Anonymous

You don't say what your TV source is. Is it plasma, LCD? If so and it has HDMI connectivity then upgrade to the onkyo TX-SR605 £399.00 and connect it via HDMI add a PS3 or Blu Ray DVD player and you'll have a cracking system. Even if you don't yet have an HD ready TV I would still up grade the amp. Your Denon 1905 is quite old now and you can do considerably better for very little money

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bossman247, I'm running an old 42" Panasonic plasma which doesn't have HDMI at the moment, however I have been toying with the idea of upgrading. Would appreciate people's thoughts on whether upgrading to the Onkyo will give me much of an improvement, I know I'll have to audition first but want to have a good idea of what I need before I start auditioning.

Appreciate your thoughts!

A

Anonymous

Hi again

Believe me upgrading the amp will blow your Denon away. Mind you if you wait 4 to 6 weeks the new Onkyo TX-SR606 (replacing 605) should be out for the same money as the 605. So now you have 2 options buy the 606 or wait and I'm sure they'll be deals to be had on the 605. Also does the Panasonic have a DVI connection, if so you could run a HDMI cable from the Onkyo amp to PS3/Blu Ray DVD player then a HDMI/DVI cable to your Panasonic. you'd then get HI def pictures and Sound

A

Anonymous

You will get a BIG all round improvement to both the sound, (more open with better detail) and picture quality by improving the mains supply.
Fitting a Tacima CS929 six block gang (E Bay for around £25) made a great improvement to my system. Also have Kimber cabled leads to my equipment.

(MS RS8AV, Onkyo 875, Samsung LE46M86, Meridian CD, PS3.QED Silver/ Kimber 8VS

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I would wait on changing your screen until you see what a new receiver and dvd player can do for you. If you can afford a receiver that will allow you to connect your screen to it using component and then your dvd player and anything else using hdmi, that would be great. Check how much better the picture and sound is and then think about changing screen. If you don't have Sky HD, I wouldn't bother changing screen. Your new dvdp will upscale to 720p (assuming that's what your old plasma's max is). If you don't have Sky HD, you can't use hdmi or component to link up your satellite box and it's almost a waste of the screen's capabilities.

Sliced Bread

Try using a CD player instead of a DVD player for your music will make quite a huge difference too. I changed mine from using a denon DVD player to a Cambridge Audio CD player and it is much more musical (although still not perfect through my Denon 3802 amp).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments, I have a few things to try out now
emotion-2.gif

Will let you know how I get on.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bossman247"]
You don't say what your TV source is. Is it plasma, LCD? If so and it has HDMI connectivity then upgrade to the onkyo TX-SR605 £399.00 and connect it via HDMI add a PS3 or Blu Ray DVD player and you'll have a cracking system. Even if you don't yet have an HD ready TV I would still up grade the amp. Your Denon 1905 is quite old now and you can do considerably better for very little money
[/quote]

The 605 is £350 from here :-

http://www.onkyo-now.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=6&gclid=CIDYw4TXt5ICFQE_MAoddFUnEQ

I've been looking to upgrade my amp, as i want to get the benefit of HD sound from the Blu Ray player i'm getting this week, and my Denon will not do the job. I had kind of made my mind up on the 605 but have found that it is too tall to fit into my Panasonic Plasma Pedestal Stand. I could get away with removing a shelf but this will then mean i have my Blu Ray player sitting directly on top of the Amp which i'm not too happy about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts