Advice on what ive bought & set-up please!

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I've always liked my good sound & picture when it comes to movies & gaming & now i have my own place, me & the wife have decided i can get a newer/reasonable system (as long as its nice i was told lol!) for our entertainment.

So heres what i have bought, please any info or comments much appreciated but go easy on me im new!!!

Yamaha DSP-AX863SE AV amp

Monitor Audio BR2's as fronts on quality stands (need to try the sand filling though/not got round to that bit yet) Bi-wired

Monitor Audio R45 & R360 sub package (5.1 package) therefore having a 7.1 setup

All Monitor Audio speakers in matching Walnut finish & black grills

Just ordered the M&S mega deal of the Panny G10 42" @ £657 (inc 5 yr warranty etc)

Other items plugged in will be the new ps3 slim, new wii black (bought component leads, ive heard these are better for it?) & xbox 360

So on a whole is this a reasonable system? can i expect good things!?

What is the best way to set the tv up? set the amp up? i have tried the microphone set-up on its own but was not overly impressed, maybe because i have not set it up in the menu's? - slowly getting better though
emotion-21.gif

Thanks everyone

tj

A

Anonymous

Hi tj, i have the yamaha 763 with ms speakers and really happy with the results, i think the 863 is the next one up from mine so you should get good results, as for setting up i just used the microphone and done a few little tweaks here and there, one of the more technical guys will be able to help you more, enjoy.

A

Anonymous

tj27:
Hi Everyone

I've always liked my good sound & picture when it comes to movies & gaming & now i have my own place, me & the wife have decided i can get a newer/reasonable system (as long as its nice i was told lol!) for our entertainment.

So heres what i have bought, please any info or comments much appreciated but go easy on me im new!!!

Monitor Audio BR2's as fronts on quality stands (need to try the sand filling though/not got round to that bit yet) Bi-wired

Monitor Audio R45 & R360 sub package (5.1 package) therefore having a 7.1 setup

All Monitor Audio speakers in matching Walnut finish & black

Just ordered the M&S mega deal of the Panny G10 42" @ £657 (inc 5 yr warranty etc)

Other items plugged in will be the new ps3 slim, new wii black (bought component leads, ive heard these are better for it?) & xbox 360

So on a whole is this a reasonable system? can i expect good things!?

What is the best way to set the tv up? set the amp up? i have tried the microphone set-up on its own but was not overly impressed, maybe because i have not set it up in the menu's? - slowly getting better though
emotion-21.gif

Thanks everyone

tj

Great choice of speaker finish, they look super.I wouldn't bother about bi wiring.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

Piobob - why not bother with bi-wire?

I'm using Gale symphany 2.5mm wire to bi-wire & cambridge audio banana plugs

A

Anonymous

Panny G10 42" @ £657 (inc 5 yr warranty etc)

can i expect good things!?

Here is my opinion.........u bought a Yamaha receiver that can handle all sound codes, also a good plasma to watch your blu rays en DVD`s.

Only thing is.........thru your PS3 u will be able to play blu rays but WITHOUT all of the wonderful sounds like, True HD, DTS HD MA.

Or you have bought your PS3 for games, Xbox for games and a Wii also for games, strange why buy a receiver only for gaming?

Dump the PS3 and buy a stand alone blu ray player and enjoy all of your sound codes from your blu rays, and of course not to forget the upgrading from your DVD`s collection thru your blu ray speler.

Useful or not?

greetz Steve

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I believe the new PS3 Slim can decode them all and send to amplifier.

Nothing wrong with it as a bluray player. It can and will be beaten by a stand alone player but if the OP wants to play PS3 games they need a PS3...the added bonus is BD compatibility.
emotion-1.gif

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Stevefilmfreak: Only thing is.........thru your PS3 u will be able to play blu rays but WITHOUT all of the wonderful sounds like, True HD, DTS HD MA.

First of all he says that he has the PS3 Slim which does send bitstream audio so he will get the True HD, DTS HD MA anyway.

But your previous statement is wrong with regard to the standard PS3 that has an HDMI output. It still sends HD audio. It's just that it decodes the True HD, DTS HD MA codecs internally and sends it as LPCM to the amp. The amp will show PCM on the front disply, not the 'True HD, DTS HD MA' light or indicator, but it is still High Definition audio and will sound just the same as if the amp did the decoding from bitstream.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
hi folks

yes it is the new slim ps3 & it does do the true hd etc & 7.1 etc etc & goes into the amp an it says PCM

Can someone explain the LPCM & PCM stuff please!?

Would i get a better sound using a stand alone blu-ray? as im pretty impressed with the ps3 picture on my G10 & the sound is very good too through me 7.1 monitor audio set-up

Also when it comes to my 360 & wii, they are both component leads, can these plug into the amp & it then send the signal via the hdmi to the tv?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts