Advice on the MONITOR AUDIO RADIUS R270HD AV12 or maybe the BX2?

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi the old ball and chain has vetoed my idea of a large home cinema system, so I need a smaller / slimline one.

Does anyone know if the radius R270 is good? Or maybe the BX2 as I could prob sway these but I think this is as large as I can go. Can I assume that larger systems wipe the floor with 'style packages' such as the KEF 3005SE? My room is mid sized and amp is the Onkyo TR609.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
The R270's are IMO the best in class for a slim line discreet HT speaker. In full range they will shock you with just how big they sound, and with a sub they give oodels of clarity and detail to very loud spl levels. I had the Radius fronts and cnetre with RXFX surrounds and the system was brilliant.

Its a definite recommendation from me, even over the BX range and especially so if size is a big concern, the Radius and way ahead in terms of how sleek they look.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to go for the 270's but even they are still too big apparently so I have had to compromise on the R90HD10 package which I thought sounded ok enough!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well, you don't get floorstanders much smaller than the R270's! If they're out of the question, you have no option left but to go for something like the R90's. Are these to be wall mounted? If they're to be mounted on stands, they're going to take up just as much floor space - more floor space actually due to the bottom plate of the stands - than the stands with R90's.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Well, you don't get floorstanders much smaller than the R270's! If they're out of the question, you have no option left but to go for something like the R90's. Are these to be wall mounted? If they're to be mounted on stands, they're going to take up just as much floor space - more floor space actually due to the bottom plate of the stands - than the stands with R90's.

Hi

They will have to be wall mounted yes! Are the R90's a significant step down in quality?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The R90 HD package is superb. As big boss said look at the Radius R225 or R250 HD's. With a sub these will sound as good as the 270's. I ran both the R90 package and later upgraded to the R225 across the front LCR with R90's at the rear and it was awesome with both music and movies!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The R90's won't quite match up to the more capable R270's, but sonically they're similar. You'll find the R90HD's quite capable, and if you have the space or budget, two sub's might be worth investing in - underpinning the satellites with a solid, punchy bass will improve the perceived quality of the R90's. Alternatively, the discontinued GSW12 subwoofer can be had for £500, which is not much more than the sub in the R90 package, and will far outperform it, although it is a bit bigger....

A

Anonymous

Hi, I went for the Pioneer VSX-LX55 Receiver with R270HD front speakers, one R225HD centre speaker, two R90HD for rear speakers and two R45HD for front Hi Speakers.

I opted for a Sunfire HRS-8 Sub, as we have a small room (12ft x 12ft).

The quality of the sound when playing the Beetles Love DVD in 5.1 is astounding.

I have also married it up to an Epson EH-TW5900 LCD 3D HD Projector with the Panasonic BMP-BDT210 Blu Ray Player. The Picture Quality is also excellent, and I use the latest Panasonic 3D Glasses when watching 3D with the projector.

The Lord of Rings "Fellowshio of the Ring" sounds really good when at the start the battle scene is taking place. The SunFire really boots out the base and it passes straight through you as a listener.

TRENDING THREADS