advice on speakers please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK ive just changed my amp (pathos logos) whice was brilliant. To an all valve Audio Reasearch VSi55. This was my next must have unit on my wish list i have been following for about 5 years.

I love this amp! superb at everything.

My system is as follows;

Marantz SA-11-a1 SACD player

ARC vsi55 amp

Amphion Xenon speakers

This system is the best and most expensive i have ever owned to date ( im an upgradaholic)

Problem is the speakers are not as well matched to the ARC as the pathos was, The amp is staying put, so im going to change the speakers because the mid is now a bit shouty and its starting to annoy a tad. All my mates and my brother love this combination and think im mad, but hey its my ears and money!

I need a little help with the following, could anyone recommend a pair of floor standers

Have a 15' x 15' room, like most music, Jazz, soul, female especially, and Floyd is about as rocky as i go.

As i say the Amphions are great speakers but would like just a tad more warmth without lose of impact or detail. needs to be quite easy to place in the room i can only come away from the rear wall about 18" max.

My short list would be,

proac d25 or d15

spendor se8 or 9 ( had s6's a few years back so have a soft spot for spendors)

Sonus faber GP domus.

Dali helicon 400

Dont mind second hand or ex dem. all suggestions or views welcome

Thanks

Ron

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Ron, I cant believe you are rerally getting rid of my old beloved speakers. but like you said your ears/money and personal taste.

FWIW, my Opera Callas Diva gave me warmer and more relax sound (without become boring). but from your list (although I never heard ARC amp) I guess ProAc would be great with Jazz and female vocal.

Of only you like heavy rock....I think you know what my advise will be
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I know what you mean Thiaman but the ARC is really a big step up for me and the amphions are superb with anything else i owned, Just dont do it for me with the amp.

Will have to sell the Amphions on to fund a change though. Nothing selling at the moment, but a good time for bargains and haggling. The amphions where £3000 new and worth every penny imho. Will have to lose a lot i suspect but thats the way it is now days unfortunatly.

Anyone heard or have an opinion of the Sonus fabre Grand piano Domus? supposed to be an exellent match with my amp. can get a pair at the right money ex dem. But still need to sell on the Amphions first. Bargain for someone?

A

Anonymous

Nothing from What hi fi?

oh dear, must buy some Cyrus kit, gets more press that Jade Goody!!

TRENDING THREADS