Advice on set up - Onkyo 606

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After reading all the reviews I bought the Onkyo 606 and KEF 3005se last weekend. I'm a novice so asked the shop for advice on setup. The guy in the shop said to connect SkyHD and the DVD player direct to the TV via HDMI and use optical or component to connect into the receiver for sound. The Onkyo manual suggests connecting both into the receiver via HDMI and then output to the TV which I have done. Which is best?

Also, how do I set it up to have the sound come through the TV speakers when the wife just wants to be able to turn the TV on and watch it rather than having to mess with different remotes to sort out the sound, i.e. not turn the receiver on?

Any advice appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Do it the way the chap in the shop suggested and your wife will be able to watch without the receiver being on, as the HDMIs will carry audio to the TV.

Is your DVD player an upscaling one? If not, that - along with the convenience of sound and vision being switched by the receiver - would be the main reason to conect it through the 606, as the receiver's upscaling would then improve the DVD picture. But if the DVD upscales, then it's fine to connect it straight to the TV.

And yes, you will need the optical digital connections if you connect both Sky HD and DVD straight to the TV - it's also worth using the optical feed even if you connect Sky by HDMI via the Onkyo, as the sound on the Sky HD HDMI connection is only stereo. You need optical digital for the surround sound available on some broadcasts.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. The DVD player is the Sony RDR-HXD860, i'm sure how good it is at upscaling - anyone know?

Anyway, so far not been blown away by my purchase. After all the 5 stars and reviews I was expecting the 606 & 3005SE's to have a massive impact. So where have I gone wrong? (I have been through the auto setup which made big difference).

• I'm using standard HDMI cables (vivanco prowire) so that could be where to start, any suggestions?
  • QED original speaker cables - should be ok shouldn't it?
  • I'm still unsure of the best way to hanlde the audio for the DVD/Sky HD - optical? if so what? there doesn't seem to be a lot about in terms of optical cables reviews.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
As the unit and speakers loosen up with use, they will improve.

Also, you have to realise that like Hi-Fi. Money tends to bring enhanced quality and subtlety. Any old system can bombard you with volume & bass, but it doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

When I upgraded to my current set-up from my old Sony DAV-S550, I noticed the quiet bits were far and away a 1000% improvement over my old stuff. Loud explosions, and stuff were also way better with the new stuff, but the margin was smaller.

Also, it won't add anything that isn't there to begin with. If the stuff you're watching has no bass, or has a poor soundtrack. That's how you'll hear it.

I wouldn't worry. The stuff you've bought is quality kit, and I think you'll hear that in time.

;-)

Oh yeah. Chord Optichord is a great optical cable....I know, I have one (even though I don't use it in my current set-up.)

A

Anonymous

That makes sense, thanks. I've aslo just upgraded from an old DAV-S550.

I'll take a look at the Chord Opticord, what about HDMIs, I guess my current ones aren't up to it?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I use QED HDMI-P and have no complaints.

Don't forget that for what it was the 550 was also a decent bit of kit. I gave mine to my parents when I bought my new stuff. They've never had surround sound before and they love it!

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me how to get my onkyo 606 volume to go higher than the 65max it is set to

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Haggad:Can anyone tell me how to get my onkyo 606 volume to go higher than the 65max it is set to

Why?? I usually run mine at 40ish and that is way loud enough for a room 8 x 6 m

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
PAB1:
After reading all the reviews I bought the Onkyo 606 and KEF 3005se last weekend. I'm a novice so asked the shop for advice on setup. The guy in the shop said to connect SkyHD and the DVD player direct to the TV via HDMI and use optical or component to connect into the receiver for sound. The Onkyo manual suggests connecting both into the receiver via HDMI and then output to the TV which I have done. Which is best?

Also, how do I set it up to have the sound come through the TV speakers when the wife just wants to be able to turn the TV on and watch it rather than having to mess with different remotes to sort out the sound, i.e. not turn the receiver on?

Any advice appreciated.

As suggested to bypass the 606 connect SKY via HDMI direct to the TV, your wife can now watch/listen to the TV without the fuss of the amp. But if you want the surround from movies you must connect via optical to the 606 as well. I would think it unlikely you would watch a DVD without using the sound from the amp? so HDMI from DVD to 606 is fine, and of course HMDI amp to TV. As to not being blown away, I don`t know what you were expecting.. volume or clarity ?, suggest you run the Odyssey auto set up first, but then tweak audio settings to suit your preferences. I find I have to boost both sub and centre channel.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the 605 amp for just over a year.and the sound just gets better,you do have to bed things in to start getting the best out of your componants.I was playing on my ps3 the other night"wipeout hd" and the 7.1 surround sound was amazing.Regarding your sony rdrhx890 i would send the hdmi cable to your tv to upscale your pictures then use a coax cable to your amp.the pictures should look good to fit the panel of your tv.But see what works best for you,Playing around with the settings should pay you back with a big smile on your face.I set my amp up with the mic and then tinkerd with the amps settings and i am happy with the results.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts