Question Advice on New System to Replace iPod please

Xmasmouse

Oct 6, 2021
My current music system (NAD amp, Denon CD player, ONKYO tape, Revolution Record Deck and B&W speakers) were bought on Tottenham Court Rd in the 1980s. Since then, I’ve accumulated a 30+ Gb music collection, copied to iTunes in AAC format and synched with an iPod. For years that has been fine, allowing me to play playlists and shuffles through my music system and on the go. However, my iPod has now died and my hearing has deteriorated, particularly in the higher frequencies. So, I need a new system - or at least an iPod replacement.

My ideal system would:
  • Hold all my music collection and provide playlist and shuffle capabilities (incl. “shuffle all”, something I never managed achieved on my iPod)
  • Include frequency tuning to manage my hearing issues
  • Be able to provide music around the house - either via Bluetooth speakers, iPad or other.
  • Preferably be able to use my existing (or converted) AAC format music files.
  • Preferably enable continued use of my existing CD / Tape / Record deck units to maintain a legacy capability.
Unusually, music quality is not a driver here as my hearing won’t appreciate it anyway!

I desperately need advise on the kind of system than could meet my needs please.

Dom

Aug 6, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that your iPod has died, there are many alternatives, you may want to find something that highlights the high end for your hearing.

Xmasmouse

Oct 6, 2021
Hi Dom,

Forgive me, I'm a novice here and need more explanation - and perhaps I confused things by mentioning "iPod Replacement".

In the past, I plugged my iPod into my NAD amp to play my music collection at home. I also plug my TV into the same amp - but struggle to hear higher frequencies on the TV too. So I'm trying to understand what kind of unit(s) can hold/play my digital music collection (now the iPod is dead) and also be used for TV audio - both requiring frequency adjustment capability. I'm not too bothered about losing the "on the go" capability of the iPod.

In your suggestion, which unit would hold the music collection?

There are many digital music players available to replace the ipod. Most have an inbuilt graphics equaliser to adjust the resultant sound.
However the ability to shuffle all may not be available, perhaps in some this may be possible.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
I would replace the old iPod with a new iPod Touch. It’s the easiest route as you can just carry on as you were (for now) by syncing from your iTunes as usual …

… you can then worry about what kind of system/s to hang off it later. Despite all the other stuff in my signature, my most frequently used kit is iPhone (or iPad Mini) and my Roberts Revival iStream 3 with Bluetooth.

Reactions: Tinman1952

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
My first question has to be where is the Music stored?
In my case, on iTunes on my Mac and synced to an iPod Mini 5 (256GB). Ultimately it’s all backed up (twice) on external USB drives (just in case) with one copy kept in someone else’s house.

Xmasmouse

Oct 6, 2021
Thanks for the comments so far.

Looking-up the various suggestions:
- Mac Mini - £700 but only 8 to 16 GB storage - so, as said, would need additional storage too.
- iPod Touch - 5" x 2.5", £400 for 256 GB
- iPod Mini 5 (assume you mean iPad) - 8.3" screen, £620 for 256 GB

These ideas were not what I was expecting but they may well be the best way forward. I thought there might be a clever box that could store all my music, provide a software interface for shuffle / playlists and provide graphic equaliser type adjustment - perhaps as a replacement unit for my Amp, for example. I guess not.

Do any of the above provide frequency adjustment capability? If not, is there anything I can add to my system to provide this - or do I need to replace my old NAD amp with something with this feature? (If so, suggestions please - noting that I'd need it to deal with inputs from TV, CD player, Tape Deck, Record Deck plus one of the music storage devices above.)

Of the 3 suggestions, the iPod Touch seems best suited to the music-only task - unless the others bring additional music capabilities.

And as for a "shuffle all" capability, has onyone actually achieved this with any gadget other than an iPod Nano? I've read lots of internet forum messages on the subject with various people claiming it can be done in iTumes but I have never achieved it. (And it seems such a basic requirement!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the comments so far.

Looking-up the various suggestions:
- Mac Mini - £700 but only 8 to 16 GB storage - so, as said, would need additional storage too.
- iPod Touch - 5" x 2.5", £400 for 256 GB
- iPod Mini 5 (assume you mean iPad) - 8.3" screen, £620 for 256 GB

These ideas were not what I was expecting but they may well be the best way forward. I thought there might be a clever box that could store all my music, provide a software interface for shuffle / playlists and provide graphic equaliser type adjustment - perhaps as a replacement unit for my Amp, for example. I guess not.

Do any of the above provide frequency adjustment capability? If not, is there anything I can add to my system to provide this - or do I need to replace my old NAD amp with something with this feature? (If so, suggestions please - noting that I'd need it to deal with inputs from TV, CD player, Tape Deck, Record Deck plus one of the music storage devices above.)

Of the 3 suggestions, the iPod Touch seems best suited to the music-only task - unless the others bring additional music capabilities.

And as for a "shuffle all" capability, has onyone actually achieved this with any gadget other than an iPod Nano? I've read lots of internet forum messages on the subject with various people claiming it can be done in iTumes but I have never achieved it. (And it seems such a basic requirement!)
The £700 Mac Mini has 256GB of SSD storage built-in and not 8Gb - 16GB as you stated above.

I have just purchased an iPad Mini 5 (2019) 256GB wifi only model from John Lewis for £499 in the last few days. (It is the new 2021 model that costs £620 for the same storage.)

As you can see the 2019 256GB model is still available but i’d buy soon before all the old stock has gone.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts