Advice on Marantz M-Cr603 and Q Acoustics 2010 speakers

gavhallesy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Looking for advice on either new speakers or a new system.

I’m currently using an Onkyo CR-515DAB with their bundled DN9BX speakers. Not the best system in the world but has served me well the past 3 years.

I’ve got itchy feet however and am looking to upgrade either the speakers or both system and speakers.

I’ve pretty much decided that I want one of the Q Acoustics 2010 or 2020 range. Mainly because of positive reviews and for the wall brackets you can get for them. The system is for my bedroom, I’m disabled and being able to adjust the angle of the speakers while wall mounted appeals.

Systemwise, I like the Denon DM-38DAB but it looks very similar to my Onkyo apart from the USB, so doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade for the money. The Marantz M-CR603 is my preferred choice as it looks so good, and is a little bit more future proof. I have a router in close proximity, an iphone and a largish collection of MP3’s and Flac files.

Primarily though it is to be used to play cd’s and the cd player in my Onkyo is very good. Having a large collection of them, I do have a number that have become scratched (by the wife) which in reality have no right to play on anything, but the Onkyo is hard pushed to ever skip or jump. I’m slightly concerned that the Marantz may be more sensitive?

So basically, are the speakers on their own an improvement over my current ones? The 2010’s are smaller than the ones I have now.They would be my preferred choice but am undecided if I would be better off with the newer and bigger 2020’s.

Any opinions or advice would be gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

Both the Q Acoustic speakers mentioned will work very well with the Marantz system so really a demo between the 2 would be needed but I cant really see there being much between them apart from morer bass from the 2020's

It would be handy to know what music you generally listen to and also what your budget for speakers is?

IMO & dependent upon your budget; the Dali Lektor 2's and B&W 685's should be considered also as they're both wall mountable and sound superb with the Marantz system

For me my money would be on either of those before the Q Acoustic speakers (if your budget allows) but dont rule out 2md hand examples of them easily found on eBay and the likes

gavhallesy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Listen to a lot of blues, all types of rock music and a bit of heavy metal thrown in for good measure. Don't really want to spend more than about £200 on speakers.

Cheers for the reply.

A

Anonymous

I have also been listening to an Onkyo 515 for some years now. It is a well made and reliable machine. As you say the CD replay is accurate and the DAB tuner sounds pretty good through an outdoor aerial.

As you will know the Onkyo has a very useful optical imput round the back. I have connected this to a cheap £30 Behringer U202 which is a basic optical USB interface. It allows me to stream internet radio and MP3s from my laptop direct to the Onkyo's DAC, thereby by-passing my computers sound card. It produces a real improvement in reproduction, even over expensive interconnects. I guess you could connect your iphone likewise, if you can find a usb adapter for your phone. Otherwise there are plenty of docks out there to connect your phone to the Onkyo via its optical imput.

The bundled Onkyo speakers are disappointing. I currently use Tannoy F1s which are an obvious improvement. There are several even better speakers available now for well under £200, including the new Dali Zensor 1, which should allow your Onkyo to really sparkle. They are easily wall mounted. I doubt whether the Onkyo is worth speakers costing more than £200.

I also doubt whether the Denon would be much of an 'upgrade'. It is a better buy than the Onkyo, but it's not worth spending what would amount to an additional £200+ for a small improvement. I know nothing of the Marantz, other than it would be a definite upgrade, but also an expensive one. IMO you should upgrade your speakers first and experiment with your Onkyo's optical imput before ditching what is a very good piece of kit. You could then still use your new speakers with the Marantz should you still wish to upgrade your amp.

I think you will be will more than pleased with the capabilities of the Onkyo once you ditch the speakers and connect its DAC direct to your digital sources - and it won't cost you anything like as much as the Marantz.

gavhallesy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Brilliant reply mate, just what I was looking for to be honest!

I’d not explored the optical input at all. If there are devices on the market that will breathe new life into the Onkyo, the miser in me will probably hang onto it until there are other systems to rival the Marantz more competitively.

I wanted to be able to play files from a USB stick, and the idea of streaming files wirelessly from my laptop would be ideal but don’t know of anything external that would enable me to do that?

I’m pretty much sold on the Dali Zensors 1’s though. If I can find decent wall mounts for them they look more than good.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

You might try an apple airport express to go wireless. I bought one but took it back as I could not get the wireless to connect, no matter how hard I tried. Others might know of an other easier solution.

If you look at the excellent new video on the site for the Dalis you will see that they do not require a seperate wall mount.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts