Advice on interconnects and speaker cable + ripping my cds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought my first hi-fi; a Marantz PM7200 and CD7300 and would like some advice on cables. I don't want to spend silly money but would like some decent stuff. Can anyone suggest anything? I've heard of QED but they have so much choice that I don't know where to start. I don't know how relevant this is, but I'm still looking for speakers and plan to get some B&W DM 601s.

Additionally, I plan to get a DacMagic in the near future and would like some advice on copying my CDs. Most of my 'computer' music is on iTunes in a highish bit rate MP3 format but I plan to use a lossless format from now on (probably FLAC); can anyone recommend some software that I can rip my music with and it will retain the gaps/gapless tracks etc.? As iTunes doesn't play FLACs can you recommend a player too?

Thank you in advance,

Ben

SteveR750

For ripping, you cold try this freeware:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

It came "recommended" from the nice chaps and ladies at Cyrus. It's not intuitive (like I haven't figured out where it rips the tracks too so that I can call them up to burn them but then "My Documents" is on a remote (work) server so the whole thing gets confused)

idc

bennyg85:

Additionally, I plan to get a DacMagic in the near future and would like some advice on copying my CDs. Most of my 'computer' music is on iTunes in a highish bit rate MP3 format but I plan to use a lossless format from now on (probably FLAC); can anyone recommend some software that I can rip my music with and it will retain the gaps/gapless tracks etc.? As iTunes doesn't play FLACs can you recommend a player too?

Hi Ben. If you have itunes then just use itunes to import your CDs. Change the bit rate to Apple lossless; edit - preferences - general - import settings and then the drop down box and apple lossless. Also check the error correction so it is on. There is no messing about with changing formats as lossless is lossless. For gapless, once imported right click on any track, or use ctrl/shift to highlight a number of tracks and right click, then select options and the last drop down box is gapless, select yes.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the replies. I've been using iTunes for ages and hadn't realised how easy it is to make the tracks 'gapless' - thanks for the tip! It's frustrating that iTunes won't play FLACs because all of my Ryan Adams bootlegs are in this format and it's a pain to have to convert them every time!

Does iTunes retain some sort of ID3 tag on apple lossless then?

Any advice on interconnects/speaker cable anyone? I'm trying to squeeze everything I can out of my separates.

Ben

A

Anonymous

bennyg85:

Any advice on interconnects/speaker cable anyone? I'm trying to squeeze everything I can out of my separates.

Mark Grant Interconnects are very well regarded, and well priced too.

As for speaker cable, QED Revelation or Chord Rumour are good options.

A

Anonymous

Take a look at the review section on this site, their are some good quality cables and interconnects at reasonable prices.

I use EAC to rip my CDs into FLAC, its considered to be one of the best, never had a problem with it...........

A

Anonymous

Does it matter how my speaker cable terminates? The stuff I'm currently using is just bare wire at both ends. Also, can you get interconnects that are shorter than .75m? I thought the shorter the better.

I have EAC but haven't used it much. When it converts to FLAC does it retain the 'gap' information etc?

Cheers for all the help.

Ben

A

Anonymous

bennyg85:
Does it matter how my speaker cable terminates? The stuff I'm currently using is just bare wire at both ends. Also, can you get interconnects that are shorter than .75m? I thought the shorter the better.

I have EAC but haven't used it much. When it converts to FLAC does it retain the 'gap' information etc?

Cheers for all the help.

Ben

Yes it will do this as long as its set up correctly, take a look at the computer based music forum to see how its done................

idc

bennyg85:

Certainly Russ Andrews, Chord and QED interconnects start at 0.5m. It doesnt really matter how speaker cable terminates, but banana plugs provide a secure fit and it is easy to keep connections clean. But bare wire is fine, just get a bit more so when the ends start to oxides you can trim a bit off.

A

Anonymous

Can you recommend somewhere to buy my cables from? Is there somewhere you all use?

Ben

idc

No recommendation as to where to buy as there is no where we all use. However, there has been positive feedback on the forum from buying from Amazon, e-bay, Russ Andrews, Clearer Audio and direct from dealers such as Sevenoaks and Loud&Clear.

TRENDING THREADS